Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njshore609

Opinions on HVAC estimate system for new home

NJShore609
10 years ago

4500 Sq. ft. new home to be build received this estimate for HVAC in South Jersey.

INSTALLATION OF THREE ZONE HEATING & COOLING
SYSTEM

Installation includes:
1st Floor
(1) Bryant 100,000 BTU 96% Evolution 2 Stage furnace
model 986TA048100V21
(1) Bryant 4 Ton 410A Evaporator coil model CNPVP4821ALA
(1) Bryant 4 Ton 17 Seer R410A Preferred 2 stage Condensing unit
model 127ANA048000
(1) Honeywell 2 stage Digital Thermostat
(1) 4 inch filter rack

2nd Floor
(1) Bryant 80,000 BTU 96% Evolution 2 Stage furnace
model 986TA04880V17
(1) Bryant 3 Ton R410A Evaporator coil model CNPVP3617ALA
(1)Bryant 3 Ton 17 Seer 2 Stage R410A Preferred 2 Stage
condensing unit model 127ANA036000
(1) Honeywell 2 Stage Digital Thermostat
(1) 4 inch filter rack

3rd Floor:
(1) Bryant 80,000 BTU 96% Evolution 2 Stage furnace
model 986TA0488017
(1) Bryant 3 Ton r410A Evaporator coil model CNPHP3617ALA
(1) Bryant 3 Ton 17 Seer 2 Stage R410A Preferred condensing unit
model 127ANA036000
(1) Honeywell 2 Stage Digital Thermostat
(1) 4 inch filter rack

Includes: Ductwork main trunks metal, externally wrapped R-8.0 silver, branch runs flexible insulated duct silver. Refrigeration lines, condensate lines, emergency pan, furnace flue piping, registers & return grilles aluminum.

Comments are appreciated...I have Bryant Evolution system in my current home and I am happy with its performance and durability. I'm located on a barrier island close to saltwater.

Comments (9)

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

I would want to see some load calcs for each zone and size of zone. Any of these zones a finished basement?

260 KBTUs heating
    10 tons of cooling

Really.

I might consider using zoning controls to eliminate at least one system.

IMO

• NJShore609
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No zones in a finished basement. 3rd floor is open area high ceilings to roof rafters, under 1st floor is insulated floor and then 5'6" un-insulated crawl space.

any issues with preferred condensing units and evolution furnaces? I had wanted all evolution system but this is how he quoted it.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

I can't believe the sizing is correct.

I would zone the finished basement off the main floor system and use a zoning control.

As far as upstairs system, where will furnace be located?

It is highly suspect to have nice Evolution furnaces controlled by a cheap HW thermostat. Insist on the Evolution controller. That's a big mistake.

IMO

• mike_home
    10 years ago

I have to agree with Tigerdunes. This is sizing does not make sense especially for new construction.

You need to review the load calculations with the contractor. Find out what design temperatures were used.

Where will the furnaces for the second and third floor be located?

This is a very expensive quote yet the contractor could did not include Evolution controllers. This is a red flag in my opinion. Is this an authorized Bryant dealer?

• NJShore609
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just to be clear there is no finished basement, the house is built on piers enclosed with breakaway walls for flood protection.

Quoted price is 40,500.00

1st and 2nd floor furnaces will be located on the second floor in an unfinished space. 3rd floor is living space and will be located in attic or same second floor unfinished space.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Sorry my misunderstanding.

What are living area size of main floor, second floor, and third floor?

Insist on Evolution controller for each system. If not, you will shortchange a nice system and yourself.

IMO

• mike_home
    10 years ago

You are spending a lot of money and you want the HVAC installation to be done correctly. Builders know very little when it comes to HVAC. It is the item that gets the least amount in the budget and it is usually subbed out to the lowest bidder.

You need to have a real load calculation done. By real I mean using software which complies with the Manual J calculation with all the correct inputs. If the HVAC contractor cannot do this then find someone else. The Byant evolution equipment is one of the best on the market. However it will never work correctly if it is oversized and poorly installed.

I am in the Princeton NJ area. I would love to recommend an HVAC contractor but I don't think he is going to travel to the Jersey shore.

• NJShore609
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for all the great replies, I really appreciate it.

1st floor bedrooms/baths - 1650 sq ft

2nd floor bedrooms/baths - 1500 sq ft

3rd floor open living space - 1350 sq ft

It's very difficult, I agree. At first i got a quote that said 17 seer/90% efficiency units and duct work to be sized along with the price. I pressed for details and finally got them.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Great HVAC you are being quoted. Add the Evolution controllers. You will never regret it.

You are being grossly oversized though.

I would zone either the 1st and 2nd floors or even the 2nd and 3rd floors.

I would let the load calculation and what's practical be your guide. It's difficult for me to believe you need 3 independent systems.

Good luck.
    IMO