Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andy1978_gw

stove pipe, double vs. single wall

andy1978
16 years ago

I recently purchased a home with a wood stove insert in the living room fireplace. I want to line the chimney before I start using it, as the condition of the chimney is questionable. My plan is to use double-wall stove pipe to line the bottom of the chimney, and single wall for the section that is above the roofline. Is using double-wall pipe an overkill, or is it a good idea in this situation? I would rather err on the side of safety. Also, what will I pay for double-wall and single wall pipe, I want to make sure my local stove store is not overpriced.

Comments (6)

• veesubotee
    16 years ago

What exactly is the problem with the chimney? If it is such that heat (from the flue)will cause the chimney to fall apart, do you want the upper portion (above roof) to fall down?

V

• jehiatt
    16 years ago

Double wall pipe is used to lessen the danger of overheating
    the flameable wall, ceiling, or roofing structure it passes by or through. Also if exposed outside, to maintain the flue temperatures for a proper draw and help prevent creosote adhesion. Single wall can be used to the top of your chimney where a metal seal cap should be installed to keep the heat in the chimney space. A double walled extension and cap should be used for any more height needed.

• kalining
    16 years ago

What is your definition of double walled pipe ? Are you talking about B vent ? If so, don't even think it. Are you
    talking about zero clearance ? If so, you can't afford it.
    It's about $3.00 an inch. There is a special liner for a
    wood stove in a masonary chimney. Why don't you ask your
    code people. How are we supposed to know without seeing it and knowing your codes ? Jehiatt gives you a very good
    definition of the double and single wall pipe and why it is used. In you case, why do you think you need it ?

• stoveguy
    16 years ago

lining a flue is not a trivial exercise, first off standard woodstove pipe such as basic singlewall or double wall pipe is not used for this application. a liner approved to the proper specs should be used to meet code, for a woodburning appliance this should be a "class a" liner listed to ul-103ht. the size of the liner is determined by the size of the collar on the stove which the liner is connected to , if 6" you should use that diameter, if 8 inch stay with 8 inch. be advised however a liner of the proper specs meeting code can be expensive. but not nearly as expensive as a new home. do it right , check applicable code , have the flue inspected by a csia , or nfi certified chimney professional before committing to this project.

• Tinmantu
    16 years ago

I don't see any liner holding up to a wood burner except for stainless steel. A wood burning stove requires triple wall stainless outside of a chimney. Never lined a brick one, but I'd bet money that double wall b-vent or single wall wouldn't make the grade...It might glow really pretty at night though.....call a professional and do it right....be sitting down when you get the estimate.

• mpellman_comcast_net
    15 years ago

There are some great examples of both here.

Here is a link that might be useful: stove pipe