Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alexander_timofeyev

Condensate Pump on new install very noisy, running constantly

This is our second winter with our new furnace - Carrier Infinity 59TN6. Attached to the furnace is a Honeywell HE100A1000 humidifier and a Beckett CB151UL condensate pump. The condensate pump is on the floor next to the furnace, but not attached to the furnace with screws. The HVAC equipment is in a utility closet on the 1st floor.

I noticed over the past couple weeks that the condensate pump is running constantly, for about 5-10 seconds every few minutes, and the motor noise is so loud that it can be heard throughout the 1st floor and in the bedroom above the closet. The noise is driving me crazy. Usually it's just a regular, really loud, motor noise, but once a day or so it's extra loud like grinding coffee beans.

It seems the constant running is due to the humidifier. Turning off the humidifier stops the constant running of the condensate pump, but it's very dry inside - 28% humidity currently.

Is there a problem with my install, or my equipment?

Is there something wrong with the condensate pump, that the motor is so loud it can be heard throughout the house, or that it's running every few minutes? Is it undersized for the load?

Is there something wrong with my humidifier that it's dumping so much water into the condensate pump that it's running constantly?

Is there anything I can do to remedy the problem?

Is there a better way of maintaining 40% humidity during the winter? It seems even with running constantly our humidifier isn't up to the task.

I'm hesitant to call our HVAC company again as it cost me $90 just to find out that the noise is coming from the condensate pump, and is considered normal and "quiet".

I would greatly appreciate any help and advice you can give me.

We just bought a new house, and need to replace the furnace there due to a cracked heat exchanger (that the home inspection didn't find - awesome...), so even if there's nothing I can do to fix our current house, I want to avoid making the same mistake in the new house.

This post was edited by Timobkg on Thu, Jan 8, 15 at 11:28

Comments (7)

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

Something not right here. Condensate pump should be quiet...depending on setup/install, small transformer can go bad and buzzzzz.

Assuming your reading is correct, a 28% inside humidity tells me that the humidifier is not doing it's job. That's low and reading should be around 35-40%.

IMO

• jimct01
    9 years ago

Sounds like you need to replace the condensate pump. Many current humidifiers run a constant flow of water through them so it's not unusual for them to run a lot. Sounds like the motor or pump is shot .

• sktn77a
    9 years ago

I think both of the above diagnoses are correct. Your water from the humidifier appears to be going into the condensate pump rather than the house and it sounds like the condensate pump is burning out because of this.

• ACwannaBe
    9 years ago

Here's a few additional thoughts - btw, I agree with the previous comments.

I looked up your equipment online, and you can find an exact replacement for your condensate pump for $40. As was previously stated, it shouldn't make any noise above a hum, so it sounds like that should definitely be replaced.

Is it possible that something is diverting the water away from the media pad and instead it is just going down the drain to your pump? That would explain why your humidity has been low AND why the condensate pump was running excessively. It may be as simple as redirecting the nozzle that sprays water onto the pad.

It stinks that you got bad service from that tech.

I wouldn't buy anything else from them - ever.

Good luck!

• Alexander Timofeyev
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They replaced the condensate pump with a new one, and it's just as loud as before. I haven't heard it make a grinding sound yet, but the usual hum sound for pumping out humidifier condensate is loud enough to be heard throughout the first floor.

What's weird is that when the tech tested it by pouring in a pitcher of water, I didn't notice it outside the utility closet. But when it runs normally the hum sounds throughout the floor.

Is checking / redirecting the nozzle in the humidifier something I can do myself?

• ACwannaBe
    9 years ago

I have not seen your specific humidifier in person, and I don't know what mechanical skills you have, so I can't really comment as to whether you can determine where the water is directed.

I have included a link to the owners manual for your humidifier below. Spend some time with it to see how your unit works - it's not complicated.

You will note that the manufacturer specifies that it may take several days of operation before your home reaches the desired humidity.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.manualslib.com/manual/280257/Honeywell-He100a1000.html#manual

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living