Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ofrancois_gw

Trane, RUUD, Lennox, Kenmore: how do you make a decision?

ofrancois
11 years ago

I live in a flat roof row-house in DC with flex ducts in a crawl space; and I now need to replace the package unit on my roof that heats and cools only the 2nd floor (approx 800 sq'); my current system has a cracked hear exchanger. We've been visited by nationals and local independents but no one has recommended the same machine. What direction would you recommend:

RUUD RRRL-C-024 (16 SEER residential, limited Lifetime HX)
Lennox 15GCSX-024 (15 SEER res, 20 yr HX)
Rheem RRPL (14 SEER)
Rheem RQPM (14 SEER)
Trane 4VCC3024BIO64A
Trane XL14C (14 SEER, 20ys HX)
Goodman GPG (15 SEER, 20 yr HX)
Kenmore (14 SEER)
Carrier (14 SEER)

We are leaning towards the Trane XL14C (14 SEER, 20ys HX), simply understanding the value of a long warranty on a heat exchange and a stainless steel HE. Any other thoughts on any of these machines would be greatly appreciated. -O.

Comments (8)

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

Ofrancois

I assume you are speaking of a gas/electric package system.

What size is existing-both AC and furnace((BTUs and efficiency please)?

Not a fan of Goodman products period. Have no idea what HVAC company holds the Kenmore contract but would not buy HVAC or a hammer from Sears.

What are the price differences between Trane, Rudd, Rheem models.

The Trane is a very nice unit-will require a true two stage thermostat for best operation. Same unit is available from AmStandard, sister company, and sometimes at a better price.

FYI Rudd and Rheem are same as they are sister companies.

You do want ST ST heat exchanger.

No model number provided for the Carrier.

IMO

• PRO
    JF Maxwell Heating and Cooling
    11 years ago

Trane or Rheem, Trane is the best and costly. But, you get what you pay for. Rheem is my #2 brand that I call my builder grade. Compared to Trane's design and standards, Rheem is builder grade, but still quality. Look at the price and decide. But, if this is home for a long time, Trane!!

• mike_home
    11 years ago

Are you saying all Rheem furnace models are builder's grade quality?

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

I would disagree with the blanket statement that Rheem is builder grade quality. I realize poster just refers Rheem to this adjective as compared to his "best brand", Trane. It is not a brand as well recognized as Trane mainly because they don't have the advertising budget. Not always cutting edge and with all the fells and whistle either. But overall solid HVAC with good quality. I have said many times that Rudd/Rheem are one of the most underrated and overlooked brands in the residential HVAC marketplace.

IMO

• ofrancois
    Original Author
    11 years ago

tigerdunes, the existing system is 70btu, 10SEER, and 2 Tons.

Also- Sears did not give us any model numbers for the Kenmore or the Carrier they offered. -O.

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

Francois

I would look at the two ton units quoted by Trane and Rudd/Rheem. Pay attention to the heating BTUs of each unit as well as features, warranty, ST ST heat exchanger, dealer reputation, and of course cost.

I like the two stage heating and of course believe your existing unit is oversized on the heating side. And to be clear, you will need a good two stage thermostat to handle the heat stages for full functionality.

IMO
    Good Luck

• mike_home
    11 years ago

Stay away from Sears. You will pay a higher price and likely to get a poor installation.

A quote is not complete unless the complete model numbers of all the components are specified. Don't work with any contractor who refuses to provide this information.

• countryboymo
    11 years ago

EVERY company has 'builder grade' products. There are trane models that have crummy numbers and no features. The only statement that makes sense is 'you get what you pay for' With some brands you get more for your $$ than other.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz