Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
window A/C size & layout

Posted by ctjayhawker (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 30, 12 at 10:26

I will soon be moving into a townhouse apartment w/o central air. The downstairs is mostly one large room, so I stick a unit in a window at one end or the other, and I'm good. Upstairs is a different story. The two bedroom doors are on opposite "ends" of the landing (a distance of maybe 7-8 feet), and do not face each other. This is to say that they are perpendicular to each other, so there will not be a direct flow of air from one to the other. To further complicate matters, the stairs to the first floor lie between them. One of the rooms will be occupied only half the time, but when it IS occupied, it will need cooling/dehumidification. I don't want to purchase an entire additional unit if I can avoid it, as money is pretty tight. Does this sound like a setup where a fan placed in the door of Room #1 would be sufficient to circulate the cooled air over to Room #2?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: window A/C size & layout

Whenever dealing with window units expect to pay high utilities you might want to take this into consideration. How are going to heat the place?

o
RE: window A/C size & layout

Blowing cool air out of one room will pretty much ensure that it ends up down stairs. You could get a two-hose portable AC, but you take a big hit in efficiency that will quickly eat up any money saved by not buying another window unit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here