Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
djblake

Electric resistance not working with heat pump?

DJBlake
10 years ago

I called a service tech but not sure I trust his diagnosis.

We are in low to mid teens outdoor temps right now and it is going to get colder. I have a trane variable speed air handler with heat pump. The system is 12 years old. It was a very efficient system when installed and even efficient by today's standards.

Yesterday morning, the indoor temp was 63 while thermostat was set at 68. The warmest temp I see at the register is 81. If I flip the thermostat into emergency heat, the register temp dropped to low 60s. Essentially the same as the indoor temperature. I suspect the coils are not working.

Today, the service tech placed a wire across w1,w2, and w3. He says I have a 10kw coil and a 5 kW coil. The 10 kW coil will pull 19.8 amps on each leg of the circuit with the jumper installed but he cannot get current to flow open the 5kw coil. Max register temp has not changed.

I still question if the 10kw coil is even doing its job. I get warmer air at the register with the heat pump (81 degrees) than in emergency heat mode (less than 81 degrees). I seem to recall very warm air at the register in the past if auxiliary or emergency heat kicked in.

How much of a temp difference should occur across a 10kw coil? Is it okay that I have a jumper across all three heat terminals? The tech says 81 degrees max at the register is right with auxiliary heat mode. He has to come back to fix the 5kw coil.

Just not convinced. Kerosene heater is making a big difference for us right now.

Thank you!

Comments (5)

• bus_driver
    10 years ago

Testing at the electrical units would be where I would start. Voltage availability and continuity of the heating coils. Probably need another technician if your post is correct.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

You should get a larger temp rise than 81 degree with both HP running along with 10 KW heat strip.

While it is not unusual, these heat strip units can go bad. Any good tech should be able to determine that.

And just for info, each KW in a heat strip yields about 3400 BTUs of heat.
    10 KW about 35 KBTUs; with the 5 KW another 17 KBTUs. You must have a large home.

IMO

• DJBlake
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Home is 1950 square feet 2 story (not including basement 3/4 full, 1/4 crawl). Built in 1979/80. I have good windows but insulation and air sealing is on my list of to-dos.

If a coil goes bad, would it draw any current smoothly? Seems to me it would arc or pull zero current.

Also, the tech wired all three heat terminals together. W1, w2, and w3 are directly wired together now. I am getting a better temp rise at the register but outdoor temp got to 35 today. Wiring the terminals together seems wrong. He thinks one coil works but one is bad. Needs to come back.

What do you think?

• fsq4cw
    10 years ago

âÂÂThe 10 kW coil will pull 19.8 amps on each leg of the circuitâÂÂ

Seems to me that only the 5kW element is working, 19.8amps (âÂÂeach legâÂÂ) times 115V(x 2 âÂÂeach legâÂÂ) =4554Watts=~15.5MBtu. Simple OhmâÂÂs Law, W (watts) = I (amps) x E (volts).

Check fuses & breakers. Turn âÂÂOffâ power at breakers and measure resistance across elements as Bus Driver suggested. Also check continuity across thermal breakers.

Leave testing under live voltage to a tech if youâÂÂre not up to it!

IMO

SR

This post was edited by fsq4cw on Tue, Jan 7, 14 at 10:04

• klem1
    10 years ago

You need a different tech. A rookie should ace your job 10 times out of ten the first day he is alowed to leave the shop alone. If resistant heat strips were as complex as hvac work got ,monkeys could be trained as techs.