Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New American Standard - Weird Odor!

Posted by dinom (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 10, 10 at 10:05

Hi.

Just just had a new master bedroom addition added above two car garage. Had American Standard 80% single stage unit installed in attic. Since this was installed in September 09 have had subtle smell of burnt rubber/skunk coming from registers. Some days worse that others and my wife and I believe we smelled it even when we were using air conditioning back in September.

I finally got the HVAC contractor out a few weeks ago and sure enough when he visited he was able to smell it too and it was strong in the blower compartment and when the warm air first comes out of the registers (need to get on ladder and get nose right up there). The did some amp testing and everthing looked normal, but said it must be the blower so that ordered a new one under warranty.

So they replaced the blower 4 days ago and all was well for a couple of days, but now the smell is back. Again, it's subtle most of the time but is worse in the walk-in closets, presumably because there isn't a return in those rooms.

So I'm going to call the HVAC sub on Monday to let then know, but I'm hoping to get some input from other industry experts. What else could it be? The transformer? Control board? I assume the starter capacitor was replaced with the blower, since it attaches to the side, but I'm not sure.

What could cause a burnt rubber smell (smells like a worn out belt on a vacuum cleaner).

Thanks,
Dino

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New American Standard - Weird Odor!

Just looked at the service invoice, and he wrote that he replaced the capacitor too. So that's new.

o

Anyone?

o

dinom

difficult to solve long distance. If smell is continuous and dominating, then source should easily be located. when reading anecdotal stories like yours, I always want to rule out evap coil. sorry for your trouble. obviously switching out a blower was just a guess and changing out a part, not solving the problem.

IMO

o
Thanks

When you say "I always want to rule out evaporator coil", what could be wrong with it? Leaking?

Also, the smell isn't continuous and not always very dominating, that's what makes it difficult to solve I guess.

The HVAC guy admitted that changing out the blower was a "best guess".

o

do a google search on dirty sock syndrome. may or may not be applicable to your issue.........

source of smell has to be determined, then remediation.

o

Thanks. Looked up "dirty sock syndrome" and don't believe it relates to my issue. The smell we have is definately a burning rubber smell, not a mildew type smell. Something is getting hot and giving off this smell.

Thanks again. Anyone else have ideas?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here