Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gas furnace turns off at night, occassionally

Posted by sparking (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 30, 12 at 8:21

Hi...(I forget how much I love this website)

My 20 yr old gas furnace (Janitrol) stops working in the middle of the night, 1-2 times a week. Like this am when I woke up it was 60 degrees in house but t-stat set at 65 for low.

The temporary solution is to turn the furnace safety switch in basement stairwell off then on and it re-starts. Tho, this am, I had to do it several times.

Do you think my furnace needs to wake up in morning like I have too? On the rough mornings does it need some coffee? :)

This issue isnt covered in basic troubleshooting charts like problems don't seem to be.

I thank you for your time and info!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gas furnace turns off at night, occassionally

When was the last time the furnace was serviced by a professional? It is getting old and is having trouble waking up.

It could be a number of things. It may be a bad relay on the control board, a bad thermocouple, the thermostat is becoming intermitten, or the high limit switch is tripping. Your best bet is to have a tech trouble shoot it for you. It would be good if you could recreate the problem while he is there.

o
RE: Gas furnace turns off at night, occassionally

That may be the case...servicing. It was serviced 2 yrs ago w/ same problem. It was better for awhile then started again. No new parts were installed. I think just a cleaning or adjustment of something (I forgot).

To be clear, it only does it at night when hasn't ran for awhile. Does not do it during day when warm and not needed. So, its like something is not getting over heated but UNder heated??

Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here