Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
chemical smell when heat is on ???

Posted by shaun (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 7, 10 at 8:07

We have central air/heat. It's in the 30's here in Florida so we tried to use our heat for the first time since last year and it's giving off this chemical iodine smell. This isn't the burning hair smell, it's a chemical odor and it won't go away.

We had the heat on all night long and I woke up the next morning and smelled it. No headaches, no one is drowsy, just an awful smell.

Not sure if it's bad for us so I wont turn it on again. ( I did try it again this morning and that smell was there again so I turned it off)

What could this be? Any ideas? Unit is 6 yrs old and serviced yearly.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: chemical smell when heat is on ???

shaun

this is gas heat? sometimes when starting a furnace for the first time, you can have a dusty type smell for the first day. however smells are not normal and source of smell should be identified.

when was last time furnace/system was serviced? do you have a carbon monoxide detector? if not, you should.

there is always the possibility of dirty sock syndrome from your evap coil.

if smell continues and you are unable to locate source, I would call your servicing dealer. I will assumme other family members have noticed smell.

IMO
Good Luck!

o
RE: chemical smell when heat is on ???

Hi there - it's electric. It's serviced once a year without fail. Just serviced this past summer so it's not time to do it again.

We do not have a carbon monoxide detector.

I called our service guy and he's coming out tomorrow. He said it might be a heating element.

Thanks for your help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here