Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carrier Heat Exchanger Class Action Settlement

Posted by shw001 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 13, 12 at 7:41

FYI, In 2008, Carrier entered into a settlement over deffective heat exchangers for Carrier, Bryant and some other branded furnaces installed after about 1989. I have have heard that the settlement would pay for labor and materials to rplace a heat exchanger for furnaces under 20 years old. I am trying to verify this information and find out how to file a claim. My furnace was installed in 1992 and would fall into this class. The big problem is I have not recieved any notice over the years that this litigation was occuring. Now it may be too late to file a claim and this repair costs over a thousand dollars.

LESSON FOR EVERYONE: Always send in the warrantee registration card when you buy something, so you will be on the manufacturer's mailing list when there is a recall or some other matter such as this one.

Does anyone know about this case, or how to go about filing a claim or whom to call at Carrier?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carrier Heat Exchanger Class Action Settlement

I did a Google search and found this link. It looks like you may have missed the deadline. Even if you had submitted in time the amount of money you would have gotten would not have covered repairs for a heat exchanger.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carrier Class Action Information

o

"LESSON FOR EVERYONE: Always send in the warrantee registration card when you buy something, so you will be on the manufacturer's mailing list when there is a recall or some other matter such as this one."

Or just watch for recalls and settlements.

Most of the warranty cards are just to get marketing data that can then be sold.

o

Yah right. My friend signed on for a multy million dollar
law suit againts a drug company. After 7 years it was settled
He got a cheque for 59 cents. So you can imagine how many people got involved in the suit. Good luck with yours.

o

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have been doing some searches and finally just called Carrier U.S. headquarters directly. I expected to get the runaround, but was very surprised that I got an answer pretty quickly. The representative also offered to help find an authorized dealer and checked that the company I am working with is one. Bottom line: Carrier will pay for all parts and labor for the secondary heat exchanger. So, my service company does not loose anything and neither do I. I beleive they set aside a certain amount in the settlement and will do this until that is exhausted.

I am annoyed that my service provider didn't offer this. I've spoken to three people there already. I believe the service manager, who has been out sick the last couple of days will probably know. I hope he is back on Monday and I will close the deal. Anyhow, they are only human. It is a complex business these days. Another lesson: 10 minutes on Google can catch a lot.

Brickeyee, I also used to think that there is no real good reason to send in warrantee cards. Then I read in the settlement agreement that they use the mailing list as their first attempt to contact customers, as well as newspaper adds and contact with dealers. Is there a central source to find recall notices for a lot of products?

Thanks again all

o

Don't waste your time chasing a class action suit. The only folks that get anything out of this deal, and others like it, are the attorneys.

You have a 19 year old furnace, which, more than likely, has served you well. Replace it...it has done its job. Any contractor worth their salt will advise you of the same.

Another lesson learned - contract a REPUTABLE contractor, that is factory authorized, they will take care of all of the warranty paper work for you.

Good luck!

o

This is a done deal. Carrier will pay a healthy portion of a new furnace and up to $450.00 labor for the contractor changeout. I replaced 4 of them last year at a cost af approx $200.00 to $300.00 to the homeowner. To my knowledge there has been no class action suit, although possibly there should have been. ^They will replace it however with the same furnace with the same eventual future problems, and the contractor will wait 90 days for reimbursement.

o
: Carrier Heat Exchanger Class Action ettlement

swh - it's not too late. Contact a Bryant/Carrier dealer or supplier that gives a damn and they should give you the lowdown. Or call Carrier Corp.

o

Update:
Dealer's service manager is back and says Carrier will pay approximately half of labor, which means my out of pocket is about $350-450. This is a no-brainer for me not to get a new furnace. In addition, he offered another option. For about another $600 He will also replace the PRIMARY heat exchanger at the same time, since there is little extra labor involved. I would have two new heat exchangers for about $1,000. This would practically be a new furnace, since no other repairs on this machine is likely to be more than $300-400, and several key parts have been replaced over the years (2 different circuit boards, Induction motor and housing, blower motor,). The heat exchangers have a long warantee. Am I missing anything in my thinking?

o

"Is there a central source to find recall notices for a lot of products? "

CPSC usually lists them.

Consumer Product Safety Commission

o

Shw

What mdl, efficiency and size is your existing furnace?

A couple of questions.

This is a secondary heat exchanger that has failed?

Do you get a warranty with the heat exchanger replacement? Just to the original homeowner?

Is a cash settlement available to apply toward a new furnace?

Do you mind sharing your location?

IMO

o

Answers to Tigerdune's questions:

What mdl, efficiency and size is your existing furnace? Model no.: Bryant 398AAV, 100,000 BTUs, AFUE = 92% efficiency.

This is a secondary heat exchanger that has failed? YES

Do you get a warranty with the heat exchanger replacement? Just to the original homeowner? --- There is a warranty. Not sure if it is only for original, but we expect to be in this house for a while.

Is a cash settlement available to apply toward a new furnace? Yes, but this would only be $400-800, perhaps $1,000, so a new furnace would sitll cost about $2500-3000 out of pocket. (it's difficult to get an exact answer out of Carrier until you actually submit paperwork).

Do you mind sharing your location? Maryland, near Washington, DC. Things tend to cost more in my area.

IMO

o

I would want to know the warranty to you on the heat exchanger, whether secondary or both secondary and primary.

I assume that if you replaced both heat exchangers, everything else on that furnace is out of warranty.

I would want to know the cash settlement whether applied toward another Carrier furnace or even another brand of your choice.

Only with this information in hand can you make a good informed decision.

IMO

o

Thanks to all of you that posted this information, it was very helpful to me.

My 20 year old Bryant 90+ furnace quit last week. The secondary heat exchanger was clogged with the polypropylene liner that had peeled off and had several rusty holes in it.

After reading this forum, I called my local Bryant Dealer who was very helpful and ordered a new secondary heat exchanger for me at no cost. He also informed me that Carrier pays around $300 towards labor to replace it. Since I had already removed the heat exchanger from my furnace that covered the cost to install the new heat exchanger. This repair cost me $0 and my furnace is running great.

Thank you Carrier for standing behind your product.

o

I am a heating contractor and I have been appalled to talk with customers and find out that other contractors have charged them up to $1200 for this repair. I have done a few of these and the reimbursement to me has been the part at no charge and 4 hours of labor at my labor rate. The work usually takes me between 3 and 4 hours, sometimes a little less. Contractors lying to customers and "double-dipping" give the entire industry a bad name. Carrier also offers a credit towards the replacement of the furnace with a new Carrier / Bryant / Payne furnace. This amount varies from model to model.

John

o

Domainer you are lucky you didn't void the warranty by taking the heat exchanger out yourself.

o

Thanks everyone for the advice. I Recently received a check from Carrier for just under $800. So I got two new heat exchangers and a bunch of other parts for $300 ($1,100 I paid my HVAC contractor a couple of months ago less $800). Some of the labor charges from the contractor may have been lower because I have a service contract with them. I feel I was treated well.

However, I second Nappin's point that some contractors will not inform you of it, either because they don't know about it, or they are greedy. The technician on the original service call, an experienced guy, did not know about it (or did not say anything about it). If it weren't for the folks on this web site and GOOGLE, I would probably not have known and would have ordered the expensive repair. Once I did speak to the supervisor, he took care of all the paperwork. Also, if I had sent in the warrantee card after the unit was installed, I probably would have been notified.

Again, thanks to everyone and to this forum.

o

I just read the terms of the settlement. My furnace which is included in the settlement was installed 1993. It applies only to the secondary heat exchanger. Mine is now 19 years old and has not yet failed, though it is somewhat rusted on the inside. How the lawyer for carrier could argue that a polypropylene coating on steel is equal to using Stainless Steel just goes to show you how lawyers can argue about anything, regardless of whether it has any basis in fact. Were I to apply for remuneration under this suit, the best I could get would be 105 dollars. Wowee. I guess the lawyers took all the white meat before the rest of us got to the turkey, as usual. This happened to me once before. I received mail about how this law firm was working on my behalf. They worked for 7 years until the carcass was picked as clean as a bleached skeleton in the Arizona mid day sun. I received a check for 61 cents after 7 years, Dont spend it all in one place. Just goes to show you, when you have a lawyer on your side, he will always be on the side where you keep your wallet.

o

You did not have to enter the class action suit to receive this benefit; if your furnace is less than 20 years old and is one of the ones in the suit it's covered. Whether or not you sent in a previous warranty card is irrelevant. They have to either give you a credit for a new furnace (annoyingly, you can find out the specific amount only when your installer calls his distributor with your serial number); or give you a new primary heat exchanger (no labor included) and a new secondary heat exchanger, with labor included. Call 1-800-carrier if your local dealer is clueless, they can give you a list of dealers that are registered to work under the enhanced warranty, which is who you need, but you are covered. If no local dealers can be found, call again and senior management can help you, as you are entitled to have someone do the work. Tell Carrier your serial number to see if your unit is covered, there's also a list of covered models here. http://www.mainheating.com/lawsuit.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: carrier models covered

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here