Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikehende

Good guage for 100lb propane tank?

mikehende
16 years ago

I am fed up of wasting money on guages for a 100lb propane tank which only work for a few days, my tank is on the outside of the Garage wall but inside of an enclosed shed which is attached to the garage wall, I am wondering if the cold weather is what is causing all of these guages from functioning properly? If so, I need a guage which can withstand the cold weather, any referrals please? Thanks.

p.s. The most recent guage I got for this is a 100psi whic worked perfectly for a few days then started giving ridiculous readings.

Comments (10)

• jcthorne
    16 years ago

You need a gauge with a SS movement and well made to withstand the elements.

Would suggest an Ashcroft (1279 series if cost no object) or Wika. Phenolic or SS body, not carbon steel. In a freezing environment the problem is corrosion from the condensation on the metal components in the movement.

• davidandkasie
    16 years ago

i am no expert, but pressure in a propane tank varies greatly by temps. it is liquid at the bottom and gaas at teh top, the hotter it is outside the more gas and the more pressure, cooler less gas and pressure. i know we used to air up tires with a hose from teh LP tank, and it would blow a tire apart if you left it on too long on a hot day. BTW, this is NOT a recommended use for LP but farmers do it all the time in my area.

• mikehende
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The Ashcroft 1279 looks identical to the one I currently have?

http://www.ametekusg.com/products/product.cfm?ProductCategory_ID=4309&Product_Id=1335&mode=sku

• Tinmantu
    16 years ago

lol davidandkasie...I figured only my boss was foolish enough to do that....had to shoot up my tire with propane one time to get back to town and suggested to the guy at COOP to put out his smoke before he broke the tire down.

• mr_havac
    16 years ago

Why do you need a guage, do you have to monitor gas pressure? Or do you mean a guage to see how much gas is left in the tank? The guage on the tank under the dome lid is the best guage you can find and it measures your gas supply in percentage.

• mikehende
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I simply need to have an idea of how much propane is left in the tank so I don't run out in the middle of a cold winter night, I use this 100lb tank for my garage heater. Regarding this which you wrote:

"The guage on the tank under the dome lid is the best guage you can find and it measures your gas supply in percentage."

I don't understand, please explain.

• brickeyee
    16 years ago

You cannot tell how much propane is in the tank by simple pressure.
    Find a liquid crystal strip for the side of the tank.
    It measures the lower temperature of the liquid compared to the gas above it.

As long as ANY liquid remains in the tank the pressure gauge will read the same. it will move with the temperature, but does not indicate how much liquid is left.
    By the time the pressure starts to drop the liquid is gone and you have only a tank if gas remaining (though at a high pressure initially).

• mikehende
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am thinking that the most secure option for me is to use 2 tanks and have it autoswitch from the empty to the full tank so no interruption in flow to the heater, any idea if this works well and what setup would I need for this please?

• don21
    16 years ago

Propane tank gauges are mechanical float gauges - The float inside the tank varies as the liquid in the tank goes down. As others have mentioned, you can't tell anything with a pressure gauge

RV's use an automatic switching device with 2 tanks so you never run out - That's what you want to look into

Don