Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandonzadeh

Raising ductwork!!!

brandonzadeh
9 years ago

Hi! I have a 1965-70s home and I have dropped ceilings in my kitchen. Inside of the dropped ceilings are air ducks. There is a section of the ceiling raised a foot for very ugly florecent lights. I was wondering if/how I could raise the ductwork by a foot (into the attic) so that I could raise the ceiling by a foot like in the florecent light area but in the entire kitchen...sorry if this is confusing so please ask any questions! Thanks!

Comments (6)

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

It may be possible to run the ductwork through the attic, but it is impossible to say whether this is feasible or how easy it would be based on your providing zero info about the characteristics of your home, what the ductwork above the dropped ceiling does (return air? heating/cooling? bathroom vent? kitchen fan/hood? what?), where the furnace is located, and what obstructions you might have to work around in the attic. This isn't something you can reliably get answered here. You need to call a furnace or HVAC outfit to come and advise you. They will be able to tell you what's possible after having a quick look at it and your attic.

• energy_rater_la
    9 years ago

expect a big drop in efficiency by moving
    ductwork from conditioned space into
    unconditioned space.

backwards move IMO

btw...any idea how much work is involved
    in raising a ceiling...and just 12"??
    huge undertaking...

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

energy rater-

1. I assumed that the OP was referring to a suspended ceiling when using the term "dropped ceiling." If I'm right, it's not that big a deal; if you're right (i.e., that it is a structural ceiling), I agree it is a big deal.

2. If the new ducting is properly insulated, there shouldn't be a significant energy hit; if it isn't, I agree that it is a backward step energy-wise.

• brandonzadeh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm new here so I wasn't sure how to reply directly...but thanks kimmeyk! I feel more confident now. If it doesn't bother you, how much did you end up spending on raising your ceilings? I would really like to know. Thank you!! :)

• KimmeyK
    9 years ago

brandonzadeh, sorry I had an emergency with a pet and beginning of a cold happen simultaneously - ugh!

I'm not really sure how to break down what my costs to raise ceiling were that would be pertinent to your kitchen. In our kitchen we had those ceilings raised, plus 2 connecting hallway ceilings raised too. And raised an entry to a bedroom that also had the lower ceiling. (All of these were connected to each other, not random dropped ceilings in different areas of the house - lol)

All those areas then also needed new HVAC runs (what I am calling runs, that may not be the correct name!). Plus new vents.

The cost for that was $2000.

We also additionally paid someone to come in and do new drywall, texture it to match existing walls and adjoining ceilings. We had a wall removed too -last minute inspiration that was a wonderful decision - while the kitchen ceiling was being raised so there was more work involved than just the kitchen.

FYI, Someone mentioned this above...what I'm calling our "dropped ceilings" were 7' ceilings covered with drywall, not those metal frame and panel ceilings. The trusses were all at a little over 8' - this is a 70's ranch.

Hopefully my info is of some help and doesn't instead confuse - lol.

Like I said, in our case, this was the best money ever spent on this house as far as I'm concerned!! I used to tell people I felt like I was living in "The Shire" - lol. A DYI person could maybe do the demolition and even the drywall if talented in that skill but the HVAC was worth having done by a company that knew what it was doing.

Best wishes on your endeavor however you decide to proceed!!