Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alan_s_thefirst

B-vent backdraft

alan_s_thefirst
11 years ago

As I've been replacing windows and generally sealing my mid-'80s house better, I've wondered whether or not I might have backdraft issues with the b-vent - mid-efficiency furnace, conventional hot water heater.

Replaced my kitchen microwave/exhaust fan (recirculating) with new one, that I vented outside.

I did a flame test next to the flue hat on the HW heater - with kitchen fan, and two bathroom fans running, air was being drawn back down the B-vent. I've had a CO detector go off in the past during high winds (the b-vent cap seems to be decently high off the roof - not sure what the rule is for it here in British Columbia.)

That also leaves the clothes dryer and central vac, which is vented outside, so I have a real potential problem. In the meantime I know we can't be running more than one fan or appliance at a time.

I am figuring on running a make-up air vent into the mechanical room - they're quite common here. A screened vent like the ones that bring fresh air to the cold air return, with a pipe, either rigid or flex, insulated, that runs to the floor with the basket/mesh end. I'm an alarm tech so I'm pretty adept at fishing wire and working in tight spaces, so I should have no problem feeding this new pipe from the outside in, where I have good access.

Best plan? I would love to eventually put in an HRV unit, but realise they're not intended to provide make-up air.

Eventually, the furnace will be replaced with an high-efficiency one, but I don't intend to replace the hw heater any time soon, it's new and I like the idea of hot water during power outages, as opposed to a power vent unit.

Any other suggestions?

Comments (5)