Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njneedshelp

Can you identify this substance?

njneedshelp
10 years ago

Hello

My heater would not turn on tonight and when I opened the door to look at my unit I found this hardened honey like substance coming out of my hvac unit where it connects to the pvc pipe.

I "think" that substance was there when they installed it as a way to insulate the pipe where it connected in the hole of the metal door, but it definitely was not messy and looking like that at the start of the summer. Today was the first time in months I opened that door.

The cap on the pvc pipe had come loose which was keeping the heater off so that is working, but this substance is freaking me out since I do not know what it is. Can you tell me?

Thanks for your time!

Comments (14)

• fsq4cw
    10 years ago

Time to call in âÂÂGhost Bustersâ & call Art Bell!

Is this a hydronic or forced air system? Might this be some kind of glycol leak?

SR

• ionized_gw
    10 years ago

Are you sure it was not there all along and became yellow with age?

• njneedshelp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

its a forced air system.

i think it was there when they did work this summer to replace a coil, but it definitely was not messy like that. It just looks like it exploded or something.

It is worrisome.

• SaltiDawg
    10 years ago

Call the folks that did the work and ask them what it is.....

My CSI training suggests that with an "island" of stain on the upper left and with the appearance of rag-wipe streaks that this was left over by tradesmen. Possibly a mastic or sealer.

They've called me to take a look at Jimmy Hoffa's body tomorrow - a Super Bowl fan found them in the Meadowlands in Joisey.

This post was edited by saltidawg on Wed, Jan 29, 14 at 17:57

• njneedshelp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

All jokes aside, does it look like something could have broken in the AC portion of my unit and that substance came out? I am worried I might be in for a large repair job, that is all.

Thank you for any information you might have. The picture gets bigger if you click on it if that helps.

Thanks again.

• klem1
    10 years ago

''The picture gets bigger if you click on it ''

GET BIGGER???? Please, nobody click on it ! The last thing we need is to make it grow.

• fsq4cw
    10 years ago

âÂÂâÂÂThe picture gets bigger if you click on itâÂÂ

GET BIGGER???? Please, nobody click on it! The last thing we need is to make it grow.âÂÂ

ITâÂÂS ORGANIC!!

(Sorry, I just canâÂÂt help myself)

Seriously,

I donâÂÂt think it came from the coil. Where does that pipe go, what does it do, whatâÂÂs the red cap for? WhatâÂÂs the make/model of this furnace or fan coil unit? WhatâÂÂs the pipe sitting on? Can you take another picture showing more of the unit without exposing it to light? (Sorry, there I go again!)

Do you have an installation manual near this unit that might explain what the pipe is for in a pictorial diagram?

SR

• SaltiDawg
    10 years ago

Again, why not simply call the installer and ask him?

Also, I wasn't kidding about the rag wipe marks and the isolated smear on the upper left side of pic.

• big_al_41
    10 years ago

I wonder if they cracked the PVC and use this stuff to seal that crack ... looks like the PVC is a drain ??? so no pressure. Just guessing here.

• energy_rater_la
    10 years ago

freaking me out...LOL!

have you touched it? is it sticky?
    or is it tacky but firm?
    it could be clear caulk that has yellowed
    over time.

otoh if it isn't...and you touch it..it may
    spread up your fingers...across your hand
    & climb up your arm

• countryboymo
    10 years ago

It is probably too late Energy... either that or its the inside of a stretch armstrong?

• energy_rater_la
    10 years ago

nah..its not stretch, I disected my nephew's strech armstong when we were kids...wasn't that color.
    It may be remains of the blob though..I think it
    came in through supply vents.

• njneedshelp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

was something they used to look for the coil leak the guy said. nothing harmful.

• klem1
    10 years ago

"was something they used to look for the coil leak the guy said. nothing harmful."

Why don't you ask him if "something"has a name? I wager 10 to 1 that you can't buy anything that looks like that reccomended to detect hvac leaks. We aren't asking you pay for our bs,what is his excuse?

Sponsored
Steadfast Construction
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Arlington County's Experienced Custom Deck Builder I Best of Houzz