Return to the Web Authoring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Putting image on web page - I need help please!!

Posted by Greg_CA (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 20, 01 at 23:00

I've tried too many ways, to just get a simple picture on my first practice web page. Some how it's not finding the right directory. I'm just using notepad and the browser offline, the other HTML functions seem to work fine.

Here's what I have.

[IMG SCR=C:/My Documents/Trees/"8loopy.JPG"]

[]replaced by <>

Do any spaces or CAPS matter? The filemname is "8loopy.JPG"
exactly with the caps on JPG.
It's been driving me crazy, I would be thankful of any help.

Greg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Putting image on web page - I need help please!!

Is this a webpage that is on your hard drive? Or is it a webpage space provided by a host on a remote computer(remote means a different computer than yours). If the webpage is on your hard drive, i would make a folder under "C" and call it html. Then in the folder put your html document and all related files including pictures. When you open your browser and click file/open and browse to the html folder and click the html document you will see the webpage.

The coding should look like this on your webpage if every file related to the page is in html folder.

(img src="8loopy.jpg")

It is not good to use any caps in file names or extensions with html files. Many webspace hosts do not allow CAPS. Some Unix host puters wont even read caps in file extensions so the picture doesnt show on your webpage. All you get is a blank space with a red X in the corner.

If this html file is on a server then you need to put the image in the same folder on the server and use the same coding on the webpage. you CANNOT call for a picture on your computer from your webpage on a host computer. Get a free FTP program and learn how to use it to transfer your files to the webpage space on the host server.

JamesS

o

Thank you James, I do need a little more organization skills. I hadn't put any files up to a server yet at that time, was just trying it on my browser from my computer. It does look easiest to keep all files in the same folder, without a seperate folder for images. Is that what your saying?

Some of my folders are named with caps and spaces, is that a problem, and do the need to be exact?

I gave up on trying it just from my computer, and started my first web page at Angelfire. I was suprised at how easy it was. The pictures showed up just fine there, except for the ones in the seperate images directory. So I just put them in the files folder and it works great. I will have to try a little more testing to get them from other folders.

Thanks for yor help. Happy Holidays.

Greg

o

Greg
It doesn't show because you need to put quotes right after the equal sign after img src="8loopy.jpg" and of course, the <> around it all. Use lower case and you don't need to use C: or my documents, etc.

When I make my webpages, I also use notepad and write my own HTML..

Take a look
http://members.aol.com/expmiata/index2.html

Cissy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Web Authoring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here