Return to the Web Authoring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about a specific web hosting...

Posted by ladylotus (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 31, 09 at 16:41

Greetings,

I have completed 2 websites in Dreamweaver and am ready to upload them.

I am planning to use Bravenet and purchase the 5 year plan since that would be much less expensive. My question is this...I'm a bit nervous because I can not locate a telephone number to call on their site in case of a problem. Should this be a concern?

Those of you who use this site for hosting can you provide me with any feedback?

My websites are for non profit organizations so I want to make sure I'm considering the correct hosting site as they do not have a lot of money to waste.

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about a specific web hosting...

Sorry its taken so long for someone to give you any feedback on this matter.

You might have already made a choice about what to do, but if it was me I would be very leary of paying for a 5 year plan at any webhosting site! If you are not happy with the service you would most likely not be able to recover any of the money. The first thing to do is go to Google and type in "Bravenet Comlaints" and do some reading. What little I did read was not favorable. The first red flag for me when I went to the site was having to search for information about cost and that should be up front as far as I'm concerned. I know Bravenet has been around for quite afew years now, but that doesn't make them a terrific web hosting site and their free accounts with all the forced adds and banners is a definately a turoff for me.

As for a phone number to reach someone here is a site that has that information and you do realize they are located in Canada don't you?

Here is a link that might be useful: Bravenet_Info

o

Don't go 5 years. A lot can happen in that time. They could get purchased and all of a sudden you have a junk host and your only option is leaving a few years of hosting on the table while you have to somehow extract your domain away from them (assuming you register it with them). Hostgator is good - see how they compare. And they offer chat support and phone support. The chat support i s actually very good. Even with Hostgator, I would not go for more than 2 years at a time. I would register the domain(s) at a separate place like godaddy or namecheap - this allows you to easily make a switch if needed.

o

I recommend Hostgator and Namecheap as well. I have built several sites using Hostgator as my host and Namecheap to buy my domain names and they have been fantastic. If I have a question or need help, they have always gotten back to me in minutes. If you are looking for a host that is easy to get set up (like I needed) then Hostgator is worth a look. Hope this helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Web Authoring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here