Return to the Web Authoring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to do your own site

Posted by stitcheasy2003 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 4, 06 at 8:00

Hello
Is there a way or a site that tells you how to make your own web site? I want to do one, text, pics. and add paypal to it. To sell my items I make. thank you B.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to do your own site

I would recommend learning HTML and also web design and management. There are many local colleges that offer these courses. You can also use free tutorials on the web and countless books that teach you. A lot goes into a website, being able to put one together is only part of it.

o

Sometimes, it can be handy to have a web person make you one or two bare bones pages, and get them on the web for you.

Then you can tinker on them.

It's nice to have a software program of sorts to do the changes.

querkyquircus's idea of a class is good.

I'm even considering taking one, even though I already tinker on my own site.

o

What kind of items are you wanting to sell? And how? Are you wanting to set up a sort of online store, or do you just want a simple page with a list of items on it?

The reality is, there are many free content management systems (CMSs) out there that don't require a lick of HTML knowledge (or only very basic HTML). These CMSs would make it so that you could add content to your site (images, store items, news, etc) without knowing HTML -- it would be a simple matter of filling out online forms. What a site like this DOES require is a database, and a certain type of knowledge on how to set up that kind of site. It's great for people who need a site right now, who don't want to learn HTML, and who are willing to pay money for someone else to set up the CMS. In addition, the content is all dynamic -- meaning, changes to the site are instantaneous. Sites that are run by HTML alone require you to upload the changes to your server every time you make a change; this can be cumbersome and time-consuming.

If time is no issue to you, and you want to learn HTML, then go for it. It may not necessarily be the right solution for what you want to do, though, if you're wanting a complicated shopping cart program or anything like that (that can't be done with HTML alone, and will require much more complicated programming knowledge). If you need a shopping cart program, or something right away, or simply don't want to learn HTML, then you would do better to hire someone to set up a CMS for you.

Feel free to pop me an email if you want to learn more about CMSs. I work with them pretty extensively both for fun, and as part of my job.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Web Authoring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here