Return to the Web Authoring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Simple Solution

Posted by john47 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 9, 03 at 6:42

Hi

I have a Yahoo briefcase that I used to share pictures of chiles. Yahoo has made changes and I can no longer share large high quality pictures. I have checked a couple of other photo sharing sites but they have other limitations. What would be the simplest route to set up my own page for sharing pictures. I would keep it simple--just access to the pictures, though there are quite a few of them.

Thanks

John

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Simple Solution

First, do you have webspace? Many ISP's give you webspace as part of your internet package. That's what I've always used both for making my own webpages and for storing graphics.

o

www.picturetrail.com
www.pbase.com
www.villagephotos.com
www.photobucket.com
www.webshots.com are just a few that are free.

o

I'm thinking more in terms of a web page of my own. My ISP doesn't provide enough space for the pictures.

John

o

How much space does your ISP allow, John? You would be surprised how far that space will go! I have 97 webpages and most are filled with photos, and I've only used 20 mb's of the 100 mb's that my ISP gives me.

o

MaryAnn

Only 10--I used almost 100 on the yahoo site

o
another solution

Maybe someone else will be able to help. The only experience I have is with the space my ISP gives me. I don't think any of the freebies like shortleaf2002 mentioned will allow that much space either. You will probably have to pay.
I have used godaddy.com to register domain names for several years and have been happy with them. They also do web hosting. You might check them out at: godaddy

o

If you insist on going for free hosting, scatter everything out.

I have about 7 mb of pages and pictures at web1000.com, they say they offer 50 mb and unlimited bandwidth with no ads. But they have undertaken quite a sneaky redirect feature.
There is also angelfire.com with 25 mb of free webhosting. I don't know how much free hosting Yahoo has but you could include it for some. Then there is that 10 from your ISP.
Is that a total of ten or 10 per screen name? If it is ten per name you could conceivably get much more by creating more names. Personally, if I had that many pictures (jpg's)I would pay for hosting. Powweb.com , gisol.com , ehostsource.com and ipowerweb.com are some good pay hosts for the money.
Scattering that many pages and pictures to free hosts would be a bit much.
There are many more hosts and free hosts you just need to search the web. If you take the plunge and get a domain name some hosts like gisol include a free one. Godaddy.com is a good deal for $8.95 a year though. I'd definately do some research because good deals are all over the web if you look.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Web Authoring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here