Return to the Web Authoring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question on Editing Bitmap Files

Posted by Silhouette (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 31, 01 at 4:21

Someone had made me a logo to use for a web site I'm working on, sent it to me as a bitmap file, then deleted it off of her hard drive.

I need to be able to edit the image to change the colors, have downloaded bitmap files from a free backgrounds web site, and want to use them in the logo. Is there any way to change the file so that the objects can be edited? I do have Adobe 6, but I am just learning the program now. I also have MS Publisher, is there a way that it can be edited in that program? I need to be able to use the final product for a number of applications, including cards, etc. as well as on the web site.

And Marian, I managed to find the book that you advised me on, Mastering HTML 4.0, after a lot of hunting, thanks for the tip! That is my NEXT to do on my list, getting started on it. OMG, what a thick book! I need to use a forklift to carry it around the house, hahaha.

Thanks for any advice that I can get on this!

Deborah

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question on Editing Bitmap Files

You should be able to open it up with photoshop or other programs like paint shop pro, and once its loaded select(from file option) save as ...then pick your extension .jpg
.gif etc. You should also be able to open that graphic and also open the new pics so that both are on the screen and copy the new pic. onto the graphic you want to change.

o

You need to change the mode of the bmp map. To do this in Adobe 6 go to image and then change the mode to RGB color and then you can use layers and all of the filters and all the other editing tools.

o
RE: I forgot to add

I forgot to add, if you want to save it again as a bmp change the mode back before saving or you won't be able to save it as a bmp.

o

Thanks for all of the info!

I had hoped to be able to use the MS Publisher program to click on objects and change colors, but appears it isn't possible, and no way to save as any kind of image extention. It just basically imports pics like Excell, Word, and Powerpoint.

I'm a few chapters away from getting into the goodies of Adobe for layers and filters, guess I'll just have to be patient and get to that level, sigh. Glad to know that it IS possible tho, and whew, glad you told me to change the Mode back!

Deborah

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Web Authoring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here