Return to the Web Authoring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Family Website - Help Needed

Posted by anovaguy (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 9, 07 at 21:52

We have a family website that I created - my first effort at doing so. It is still under construction but is moving along:

I am looking for a free program that can generate a family tree. Also, any suggestions as to improvements or enhancements to the website?

Here is a link that might be useful: The Joseph Family Website

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Family Website - Help Needed

http://www.tufat.com/script1.htm (not quite free - $5)

http://www.geni.com -- free, though I'm not quite sure how you would embed it in your page. I-frame, maybe?

Your site's pretty decent, but there are sites out there that do all the work for you, like myfamily.com -- and they allow your family to be really involved, by posting content, memories, recipes, etc. It has a family tree built in as well. They have a demo family if you want to check it out.

o
RE: Family Website - Help Needed

Thanks for the suggestions and sorry for the belated response - I am out of the country right now.

I will check out the links you provided. Someone else provided me with the geni.com link. The problem like you indicated is one of integrating it into the site. I will look more closely into the option costing $5 which is for all intents and purposes just about free.

o
Free software now available

I thought I would share this information for anyone looking to create a family tree or website.

Check out Family Tree Legends software which is now available for free.

http://www.familytreelegends.com/

When you are ready to download the software, a free registration number is provided to validate the software.

It is pretty versatile when it comes to putting together family trees.

I used it to create several family trees on our family website

Here is a link that might be useful: Joseph Family Website

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Web Authoring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here