Return to the Web Authoring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Getting to First Base

Posted by Bill_zone6 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 13, 04 at 11:25

The Complete Idiot's Guide to "Creating an HTML 4 Web Page" talks about the first step is to enter text and save. It says, "not to format the document in any way (such as adding italics or centering paragraphs). Not only do you run the risk of having a browser choke on these extra formatting codes, but every Web browser on the face of the earth will completely ignore you efforts."

Are they saying the first step is to type the text without formatting>Save and then go ahead and add the formatting? They give the impression of each time an addition is made, it must be Saved. And not to do too much work without constantly Saving as you go.

I ask because I have the text in, but when the title is added it is not recognized on the browser (IE).

I think this author is more concerned with telling jokes than actual helping. The more I read this book, the more I am confused.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Getting to First Base

Hmm...sounds like a bunch of bull to me. What HTML editor are you using? I have only used Notepad and it has served me well. There are a lot of good sites online to learn how to make web pages. I really don't understand why you wouldn't format your text as you construct your page. I do save my work quite often, never know when you might have a crash or freeze. Do you have your web page uploaded so we could take a look and see what is going on?

Jean

o

Thanks for the reply Jean, I am using WordPad. No I am in the preliminary stages so far. I did 2 pages a year ago that were OK, but then decided not to use it as a business site and deleted. Can you imagine I can forget how to do this in a year? I am going back to "HTML Visually", the book I had success with. My garden site is "aided" for $7.95/mo. I want to do one completely from scratch, let me get into the "HTML Visually" book and see what is what. Thanks!

o

WordPad is your problem. Use NotePad or another editor rather than a word processor. I'm surprised the book didn't tell you that! It's OK to format with spaces, but don't use the fancier things you've already mentioned within your HTML file.

Just to be perfectly clear here - this is all about the format of your HTML, not the format of your finished web page.

A word processor adds characters for formatting that are not visible to you, but can be seen by the browser.

o

Thank you both. I knew something didn't make sense. The body would appear, but not the title. Now I feel like continuing.

o

Susan, as you stated, "to be perfectly clear here - this is all about the format of your HTML, not the format of your finished web page." Now I am really confused. What you stated I would imagine has something to do with the body appearing, but not the title. I am ready for the sofa for a long chat, or to give up. Can you recommend any online sites to help explain some of this? I have no idea how I managed this before?

Thanks!

o

Bill,
How is the page coming along?
What do you mean by "The body would appear, but not the title."

Jean

o

Hi Jean, I have been going to IE> File > Open > Browse > index.html to see the results. The title of the page is not showing up. Plus the color I selected (FFFF99) is not correct. Is there another way to see the results? I think I know the HTML well enough, but getting started is hard.

Bill

o

Hi,
I'm still not sure what you mean by "title". Do you mean it's not showing on the title bar in IE or on the page itself?

Sometimes each of us use different terminalogy trying to explain something. Not so easy to convey what we mean through the written word. :)

When you speak of the color, is that the color for your page background? It shows in my graphic software as a pale yellow.

If you have a site to upload the page, it would give us a chance to look at the source and see what is going on.

Hope I'm not adding to the confusion... *LOL*

Jean

o

FFFF99 is appearing a very bright, medium-dark green. The title is my actual title for the web page. Only the body is showing on IE. The title is not included. I think I may have to go out back and chop wood for a few days until I am ready for more of this.

Thanks!

BTW Do you want a invite for a Gmail account? I have some left.

o

the Gmail sounds interesting. I have been reading about it in some of the forums. Thanks.
After you get the wood chopped,
check this out .

o

I'm not sure that this is good info or not but I downloaded Note Tab Light some time ago with the idea that I would learn to make web pages. I haven't learned yet -- but the software claims several awards and an HTML editor and as a good replacement for Microsoft's Note Pad. It is available from Fookes Software (Swiss), I think for $4.95. Its other versions cost more but have more features.

http://www.notetab.com/

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Web Authoring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here