Return to the Web Authoring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
where do i find options i want in my web site???

Posted by donnaz5 (donna13350@yahoo.com) on
Tue, Sep 12, 06 at 23:10

to be more specific, i want to make a website to sell items. i came across somebody elses web site, and i like a feature...you can hover your mouse over any item on a list and a small pic of that item pops up.you can then click the pic, or the name of the item to get a better pic and description. can i incorporate this in any web site software, or will i need a designer?
next...i'd like to keep a running tally, that will deduct automatically when an item is purchased..example...i have 10 whatevers, and someone buys 2 and pays, can i get a web page to say that there are now only 8 of this item? thanks, donna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: where do i find options i want in my web site???

For e-commerce it's best to hire someone who knows what they're doing to set it up since money's on the line.

And for the very same reason I would highly suggest not using "neat" mouse hovers and excessive animations. Just too many opportunities for incompatibilities with the different browers which could send your would-be customers scurrying off to another site.

o

okay..got that...but what about keeping a running tally? is that do-able? donna

o

The most practical way to have the running tally is to use an e-commerce suite installed on the web server. It sets cookies necessary to do what you want. They run about $400 unless you pay a higher monthy hosting bill. Thats why I suggested an experienced web designer/mgr can set this up for you, possibly bypassing the need for added expense. Maybe you can find some cheapo shopping cart scripts or software too by doing a search.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Web Authoring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here