Return to the Web Authoring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Download counters

Posted by
Dale
(montroze@hotmail.com) on
Sun, Sep 9, 01 at 20:01

Hi, anyone use a download counter, would pref a java script one, or a link to a site with JS code. Also how do you hide the location of your downloadable files? or is this like the NRClick impossibilites? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Download counters

What do you mean with a download counter?
A script that 'counts' how many times a file is downloaded from the server? Or just how many times the link to the file is clicked?
Because both option require interaction with a file (open file, read number, write number +1, close file) and cannot be done with Java Script because of safety rules.

You can write a scrip t with P HP, quite easy... If you need help, i can try to write you one (=fun :-) )

Niels.

o

Yep was looking for "A script that 'counts' how many times a file is downloaded from the server"

If you need help, i can try to write you one (=fun :-) )
Sure would appreciate it, or if you know of one somewhere, Ived never used PHP before.

o

I have sent you an email.

Niels.

o

oh Niels, does that mean you have a download counter script? can I get that too?

o

Watch your mailbox.

Niels.

o

I still haven't put one on my page could you also shoot me a copy? If its in Perl I'll have no idea how to use it.Thanks

o

It is in written in PHP.

Niels.

o

i want hp3200c scanner software

o

(HTML) http://productfinder.support.hp.com/tps/ProductFinder?h_returntext=Return+to+Drivers+and+Downloads+Search&h_returnurl=http%3A//www.hp.com/support/software&h_tool=software&h_query=scanner+3200 (/HTML)

Try here

Here is a link that might be useful: HP

o

Why download a counter script when you can get them for free from http://www.hitometer.com
You tell hitometer the URL of your page and it creates the code for you. You cut and paste it into your HTML code and you have a counter. Then, you go to the hitometer site and you get complete stats on visits to your page - not only how many hits but the platform viewers are using, the referring pages (google.com for instance), the monitor resolution they are using, whether they are unique visitors or repeat visitors, the counts by day, week, month with graphs. With all this for free why would anyone want to use their own counter script?
Tom

o

2 different things...my first posting and some follow ups-

Posted by Dale (montroze@hotmail.com) on Sun, Sep 9, 01 at 20:01

Hi, anyone use a download counter

[Neils]A script that 'counts' how many times a file is downloaded from the server?

Its not a webpage counter in question its a 'file' download counter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Web Authoring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here