Return to the Web Authoring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Web site software packages

Posted by Lynnette (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 9, 04 at 1:20

Most of the software to design a web site are geared toward a small or large business. Then you have the one or two personal pages. I need one for mainly botanical type photos. There will be about 500 photos, thumbnails to go to full screen. I do get some space with my ISP but it is only 5MB and I will need much more. Can you reccommend software for a beginner. Here is what I have done so far on ZDNet SiteBuilder. Thanks for any help.
http://pages.zdnet.com/lynnette/

Here is a link that might be useful: The Oldrosarian

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Web site software packages

Hi Lynn Looks like you've done a very good job so far, but I realize you were probably using templets provided by znet. I recommend you learn to do your own html and you will have more control over the way your pages look. Infact you can see what they look like now by simply going up to "view" in your browser and then to "source". Copy it and then paste it in Windows Note Pad. This will give you a visual look inside what your pages real look like. There are so many great tutorials on the internet to learn html and the need for confussing and restricting software is unnecessary. As far as finding a place to put your website, there are quite afew out there, but I would stay away from free ones. They are very resticting and usually your pages are filled with adds and popups. I recommend Boomspeed.com where you can get 100 mgs of storage for $6.00 per month and there are no adds, no popups, no bandwdth limits and you get a guess book and free email. Another plus is a terrific support forum where people will help you with the html too. Thats always a plus as far as I'm concerned.

Good luck and if you have any questions just email me......another rose lover ;o)

o

Lynnette -
Get JAlbum ... it makes "albums" of thumbnails with links to larger pictures, and can even upload them for you.

best of all, it's FREE!

jalbum.net/

o

I have never heard of jalbum, but I looked it up. Sounds like it might be ok for someone who wants to have an online photo album, but still very resticting for someone who wants a website IMO. I'll stick to my advice above and recommend learning HTML.

BTW, if you have Photoshop it has a similar program for creating web pages without having to insall another program on your computer. Also keep in mind that "free" programs always come with an advertisement attached. Maybe even spyware due to downloading it off the internet.

o

MSM8 -
JAlbum does not have ads attached, nor is it spyware. It's a Java-based web album creator. It makes it much easier to create a large photo-heavy site because it does the thumbnail creating and linking to make the pictures show up.

It was written to handle the sort of problem the OP needs to solve:" I need one for mainly botanical type photos. There will be about 500 photos, thumbnails to go to full screen."

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Web Authoring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here