Return to the Web Authoring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
looking for html tags for gardenweb.....help!!!

Posted by nettasaura (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 22, 06 at 15:07

I am looking for HTML tags that will work within the confines of the GardenWeb trade page. Some I have tried and can't get to work for the life of me. Here's what I have found...any other suggestions will be appreciated.

So far I have:
image uploading, thumbnails, and resizing, placement
underlining
bold
italics
horizontal lines with alterations
marquee text
font face
font color
font size

I would love to find out more text manipulation tags like the marquee that will work (can't get blink to), adding background images within the frames given by gardenweb, and/or any other cool tags that can be added and will work within the page to make my trade page look even better than it does!
Thanks,
Netta

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: looking for html tags for gardenweb.....help!!!

It's here somewhere.

If you use the search box for this site, and enter

html code

Or the like, you should find some old topics.

But it's basically regular html. You could practically Google a search for a regular code side.

Let's see, try "html tutorial" or plural tutorials. I'm positive that that's the keyword I used which brought the most options.

You just type the code right into the box with the closing tags on the end.

The nice part, is that there is the preview.

You have given me a great idea. I'm going to add some html code basics to my own site, just so I know where to find it. A big cheat sheet.

There's one I remember called Boogie Jacks.

http://www.boogiejack.com

o

also htmlhelp.com is good.

To do blink is easy.
Replace the parenthesis with pack mans.
(blink) enter text(/blink)
Looks like this: Example
There are a number of handy dandy symbols too like arrows

And you can highlight text by creating a table with a yellow background.

Here is an example of highlighting text

o

I think blink won't work because I have Internet Explorer. I understand that only works with Netscape.

o

Yes, I didn't see the blink with IE either. I opened it up, because I use Firefox.

It will be fun to see if marquee works.

Nope, won't allow it - and it's a favorite. I only know of two forums that allow it. Arborist Site and Lawn Site.

o

Geez we're all over the place aren't we, mario?
The treehelp site lets you do just about anything, even embeds. (Do you remember my chainsaw sound effects that I play on the "what's wrong with my bradford pear" posts?)

o

So can I get opinions? How does my trade page look for someone who knew nothing about HTML just a week and a half ago. Have I done overkill on anything? Feedback would wonderful!!!

Thanks,
Netta

P.S. I have also done a bare minimum on my Member Page.

Here is a link that might be useful: My GardenWeb Trade Page

o

Not bad at all.
Couple of nitpicks though. The background texture image is nice but since it's so dark, it doesn't contrast well with the black text so it's hard to read. If you lighten it up a bit in a photo editor, you can solve this problem. Ordinarily I'd say just change the color of the text to a lighter color but since there are white blotches in the image that will still be hard to read.

As for your Unordered List (UL), you have bullets where you obviously don't want them followed by a break to the next line. I don't know if you used an editor that created that originally but instead of using (LI)(SPACE), use simply (P)
or if you don't want to skip a line, use (BR)
Replace the parenthesis with pacman brackets.

The fact that I can only find 2 things wrong with it means you've definitely done good!

o

Ok...so I lightened up the background and blurred the image a bit more...Better?

I also got rid of the extra bullets between text. No I'm not using an editor, just my own two fingers and what little I've learned. Thanks quickyquercus...I couldn't figured out how to get rid of the extra bullets.

Now those commands you gave me won't work on the lines with the pictures. Is there a command that will completely remove the bullets from those areas? Check my page again and see what you think.

Thanks so much for your input!
Netta

Here is a link that might be useful: My GW Trade Page

o

On the lines with the pictures, you have a (LI) tag right before the link/href tag, then there's a duplicate (LI) tag in between the href tag and the IMG tag. Take out the (LI) tag that is just before the HREF tag and leave the one (if you want it next to the photos) that is just before the IMG tag. Much better on the BG color. I just remembered I used some bullets on "my page". When I skipped from one bullet chart to the next, I just ended the list. (/UL) That way it doesn't indent the rest of the body because doing an unordered list does an indent by default. (in my broswers anyway)

Here's an ex.

• Item 1
  • Item 2
  • Item 3

More text w/out indent

• Another list starts here
  • Back to indent

o
RE: looking for html tags for gardenweb......help!!!

By the way, without using a table to contain your images and text, there is nothing to force the bullet to display right next to the pictures. So in other words, it may show up on your browser the way you want but on someone else's browser the bullet may be on the line above the photo. But you'll learn tables next. When you advance to the next level in page layout.

o
RE: more help please!

I am not linking to an external source just making HTML within the editing box given by Garden Web. So here's my dilemma. I can remove to extra bullets above the pics using (p) but I have to run all of my script together as follows:

This is how it looks now with an "invisible" line of equal signs so that I can keep my entries separate.

(a href="http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m114/nettasaura/seedtradepics/33247996.jpg" target="_blank")
(img src="http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m114/nettasaura/seedtradepics/th_33247996.jpg" width=60 height=60)(/a) (b)AGERATUM(/b) '06(T) - "Blue Mink" - (i)(ageratum houstonianum)(/i) - blue - 2 packs/30 seeds each
===========================================================
(a href="http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m114/nettasaura/seedtradepics/AlyssumRosieODay.jpg" target="_blank")
(img src="http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m114/nettasaura/seedtradepics/th_AlyssumRosieODay.jpg" width=60 height=60)(/a) (b)ALYSSUM(/b) '06(C) - "Rosie O'Day" - (i)(lobularia maritima)(/i) - pink - 1 pack/50+ seeds each
===========================================================

Apparently in order to get rid of those top bullets I have to run everything together like this. And as you can see that would make it very hard (especially in that narrow editing box you are given)to make quick and efficient trades when I have to dig through all of this with no separation for entries...and I have an update of at least a hundred items coming in the next few weeks.

(a href="http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m114/nettasaura/seedtradepics/33247996.jpg" target="_blank")
(img src="http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m114/nettasaura/seedtradepics/th_33247996.jpg" width=60 height=60)(/a) (b)AGERATUM(/b) '06(T) - "Blue Mink" - (i)(ageratum houstonianum)(/i) - blue - 2 packs/30 seeds each(p)(a href="http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m114/nettasaura/seedtradepics/AlyssumRosieODay.jpg" target="_blank")
(img src="http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m114/nettasaura/seedtradepics/th_AlyssumRosieODay.jpg" width=60 height=60)(/a) (b)ALYSSUM(/b) '06(C) - "Rosie O'Day" - (i)(lobularia maritima)(/i) - pink - 1 pack/50+ seeds each(p)

So do I just have to live with the extra bullets in order to make my life easier?

Thanks,
Netta

o

It's time to advance to the next level: Tables
You need to make a table with 2 or 3 columns to display correctly. Tables are pretty much the framework of a web page.
This would be an example

Your text would go here

next item text goes here

Sans border....

Your text would go here

next item text goes here

It would be better to create your own dot as an image rather than use special charactars so it aligns perfectly in the middle.

o

Thanks Quicky ....will have to work on that...check back later.

Netta

o

I see that you got a marquee to work there. Either it works there, but not here, or I needed to use a different code. I tried one in this thread with code that has worked.

Your marquee is a bit speedy, and it blurs a little. If you set it up the way I think you might have, if you add to the left tag a scroll delay snippet, it can slow the speed down.

One site of a few I've used is below in the link. Scroll Delay is the option to review.

Here is a link that might be useful: html maquee tutorial

o

HTML codes can be fun, and can also be great practice for your cut-and-paste technique.

o

as far as i'm concerned, plenty of html codes work here

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Web Authoring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here