Return to the Web Authoring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Opening link in new window

Posted by MaryAnnTX (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 2, 02 at 12:23

Is there something to add to the html code for opening a link in a new window that would assure that it would be a small window? I have several links on one of my webpages that I would prefer to have them open in a small new window. But every time I have tried, it opens into a large window.
Thanks,
MaryAnn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Opening link in new window

You need to use j a v a s c r i p t to size the new window.

o

I tried to post a code snipet, but as usual Spike's parser/reformatter sent me to disneyland. So click on the link below and look over the tutorial. If you need further help, send me an email. I don't want to do hit and miss on what Spike will or will not allow to be posted. (I know it is a security issue with him, but the parser could be better).

Here is a link that might be useful: Tutorial for open function in window class

o

All you have to do to open a link in a new window is add this code . I am putting the full code in and using quotes so the code will show. Change ( and ) to < and >.

(a href="http://www.thewebpage.com" target="blank")The Webpage(/a)

JamesS

o

Thanks for your responses.

Dan, I will check out the link you listed, haven't had time yet this morning.

James, I tried the code you listed, which has the word blank where I normally use _window. I tried your code and it still opened up a full size window. But maybe I did something wrong. I'll try again.

This forum has slowed down so much in the past few months. I'm glad that some of you are still around to help people like me!
MaryAnn

o

I did not read your message all the way thru. Here is a webpage with a java script open window code. http://www.web-source.net/java-script_popup_window2.htm"

To show the address i had to put a dashmark between the "a" and the "s" that you will have to take out. When you go to the page you can see in the code that you can adjust the window size to what you want.

JamesS

o

It only works if the user's browser allows j*avascript to open and resize windows.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Web Authoring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here