SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kyry

Downloading animated gifs

kyry
22 years ago

I posted this first on the computer forum, but then thought this may be the better place.Can anyone tell me why when I download any animated clipart

it shows up as a still picture? I see some animation in some of the postings.And can't figure out how it is done. I would like to include some in my e-mails, I know it has to be put on a web page first then included in the posting as,img src then file name, but if it doesn't download as an animation, how can it show up as one? I am very bad at explaining myself, but does anyone know what I'm talking about. I did try putting it on a web page that my internet service provides, but it came up as a still.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments (21)

• JamesS
    22 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Are you viewing the animations in a photo program? try opening your browser then do a file-open and find the animation then open it in the browser. If you can see the animation in your browser then that is what you are sending to your webpage if you are FTPing it. If you are using a webpage host editor to load your images to your webpage it may be the editor causing them not to be animated. See if your host will let you FTP to your website, then find a FTP program like cuteFTP or WS-FTP and learn how to use it.

JamesS

• tim_in_nc
    22 years ago

Kyry, What I do is right click on the animated gif I want to save, then left click on "Save Picture As..." Then give it a file name and save it in "My Documents" This saves the animated gif on my harddrive.
    Now when I'm ready to use it in a email (I use Outlook Express) I left click on "insert" then left click on "picture" then left click on "browse" then go to "My Documents" to find my animated gif then open it then click "OK". It now should be in your email.
    Hope this helps

• Related Discussions

help choosing program to resize a gif

Q

Comments (4)
    Hi John I've also heard Irfanview is very good. I use Paintshop but it's an expensive option if you just need to resize. This program looks interesting too but I haven't tried it: The link will let you download it PhotoFiltre is a complete image editing and effects package, that will not only amaze you with features but also the fact that it is free (for personal use). It comes with many features that rival some commercial packages, as well as additional add-on that can be downloaded from the web site. PhotoFiltre offers all the standard editing features (selection, clone brush, paint brush etc.) as well as a large selection of image effects, photo masks, image adjustments, thumbnail browser and much more. The program also supports batch processing to apply filters, sizing, adjustments and transformations to a large number of images at once. PhotoFiltre comes with modern, well designed interface and is well suited for everything from simple resizing to advanced photo editing. Good luck with whatever you choose. Sue :) Here is a link that might be useful: Photofiltre
    ...See More

Gifs to download.....Closing Website...

Q

Comments (5)
    Joy, Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful treasures!!.....I snagged a WHOLE BUNCH!!!!!.... : )) FlutteringBy
    ...See More

animated gifs question

Q

Comments (3)
    Peg, you want to copy the HTML code line in Photobucket. That's second from the bottom. Once you upload it there the first time, it will stay in your archive. You'll have to go to Photobucket to retrieve the same line each time you want to put into your posts here. Anoter thing is to put that code on a page file on your computer. Can be Word, WordPad, NotePad, or whatever. You'll have to open and copy it from there, then paste it here each time you post. For your email, there should be instructions for inserting a signature. It will automatically be there in every email you send out.
    ...See More

Adding GIF for profile picture

Q

Comments (0)
    Any clue how to add an animated gif to the profile picture?I guess it's not like other forums were I see animated profile photos. They did showed a JPEG,GIF or PNG file upload,but my GIF it's not animated at all. Further updates maybe?
    ...See More
  • a_richard_d_enfused_com
    22 years ago

I mailed some to my spouse and one did not do its "animation" thing. She mailed it back to me and it worked. I mailed it back to her and this time it did work.

So we started mailing animated gifs to each other while sitting here watching reruns and about one out of 12 didn't work every time. There is something about some of them that made them behave curiously sometimes.

• chatty_netlane_com
    22 years ago

You can also "copy and paste" gif's to your email messages. For example, when I find a cute animated gif (or any other graphic for that matter) I'd like to send to someone I right click and "copy" it and then go into my email program, right click "paste" and paste it into the "body" part of my email message.
    If I really like the graphic and think I might use it for something else, I'll download it to my hard drive, if not I just copy and paste so I don't waste space on my hard drive.
    Hope that helps!
    Mac

• Joy_CA
    22 years ago

Mac, you can't copy/paste an image into Outlook Express and many other email programs (you can do it with Netscape).

When you copy/paste you are linking to someone's web site, when you do that and it is called Bandwidth stealing. In other words you are costing them money. Please, check the following link.

Joy

Here is a link that might be useful: Bandwidth Stealing

• chatty_netlane_com
    22 years ago

Joy, I copy and paste all the time in Outlook Express and have never had a problem.
    I read the article you suggested and never really knew that when I copy and paste something it is still linked to their site. I certainly NEVER knew that I was "using up" their webspace by doing that!!
    I guess I never really put much thought into it! Thanks for bringing it to my attention!!
    Mac

• notmyaddy_hotmail_com
    22 years ago

This may be a little late but oh well.
    When saving an animated graphic make sure you save it as a (gif) file. By saving it as a jpg or bmp it becomes a static image.

• maryanntx
    22 years ago

Well, since you brought this to the top, I have a question. I was not aware that when you copy/paste something from a website that you were linking to their website and stealing their bandwidth. I copied and pasted the little house and tree graphic located at the top of this page into the body of an e-mail and sent it to myself. Nowhere could I find in that e-mail that it was linking to this website. Am I missing something? I would really like to know if someone can explain it to me.
    Thanks,
    MaryAnn

• Joy_CA
    22 years ago

MaryAnn, it is linked to this web site. If it wasn't linked, you would not be able to see it. The URL, of the 'little house' is linked to the Internet, because it is linked to this web site. If, for some reason, the image is removed from this web site, you would no longer be able to see yours (that would break the link).

If, you link to a web site and the gif is moved, or deleted (on that web site), the gif is no longer visible, the link is broken...it would only show a RED X, or a gray box, showing that it was no longer a active link.

I hope this makes sense....

• Toothpick
    22 years ago

It's only linking to their site if you copy and paste the LINK.

If you copy and paste the GRAPHIC, then the graphic is on your computer. This is what I always do. I right-click, choose save & save it onto my hard drive. Then I can put it on my website, or paste it into an e-mail, etc.

In Outlook & OE, you can do Insert - Picture, which puts the picture right in the body of the e-mail (the e-mail format has to be HTML to do this), or you can do Attach File and just send it as an attachment, and the recipient can save it onto his/her hard drive and view it however they like.

Cheers,
    JoJo

• maryanntx
    22 years ago

Joy, I guess I still don't get it. I always save the graphic to my hard drive and then insert it into my e-mail as Toothpick suggested. But I can't understand how copying & pasting a graphic to e-mail or any other document is linking to their site. I tried copying and pasting the little house to an e-mail which I sent to myself. I then opened the e-mail. Then I disconnected my internet connection, cleared my history, etc. so there would be no remnents of THS left. I then opened my e-mail while still offline and the graphic was still there in my mail.
    I do understand about linking to a graphic on someone's website and that if they remove the graphic you will view the red x in the box. I thought copying and pasting a graphic did just that, made a copy.
    I definately respect your pc knowledge as you have taught me a few things over the last few years. I just need to make sense of this in my head (if that's possible LOL).
    Toothpick, I think you are explaning it the way I thought it to be. That copying and pasting a graphic puts the graphic on your clip board like anything else that you copy & paste.
    Thanks,
    MaryAnn

• Toothpick
    22 years ago

Right, MaryAnn...if one were linking to a graphic on some site, you would have to have something like this:

{{gwi:1540617}}

But just having the graphic itself inserted into the e-mail (i.e., someimage.jpg or someimage.gif) is not linking to some other site.

Cheers!,
    JoJo

• Toothpick
    22 years ago

Rats, it still converted my string to HTML. Let's try this again. Pretend that the [ is a .

If you were linking to a graphic on a site, you would have to have something like this:

[a href="http://www.somesite.com/images/somegraphic.jpg";]Linked to a Site[/a]

as opposed to just actually having the graphic there (i.e., someimage.jpg or someimage.gif). If you've copied the actual graphic to your computer, and then you are using that graphic one way or another, you are not linking to some other site.

Cheers,
    JoJo

• Joy_CA
    22 years ago

MaryAnn, I think I misunderstood (?).

Toothpick, is right, if you are saving the image to your computer hard drive, before using, you are not linking. If, you are using the image in any way, without first saving to your hard drive, you are linking....that, includes copying and pasting the image.

Joy

• amploud
    22 years ago

hi there. I've got a problem with downloading animated gifs too. When I try to download it, and click "Save Picture As..." the only other option in "Save as type:" is Bitmap (*.bmp). So if I save it into a bitmap, it won't be an animated gif anymore. How can I save animated gifs as gifs and keep it animated?

• dcmat
    22 years ago

Some photo programs will change downloaded animations to still pix by automatically changing their extention. You may need to go in and change the defalt on bitmap extentions saved to your system. This happened to me - MGI photosuite took control of all my graphic and when I deleted MGI I couldn't open any of them. Had to reloag program to open and then change the extention defaults.

• ann_t
    22 years ago

Amploud, someone on the computer forum also had this problem. She wasn't given the option of saving as a gif. She was using Windows ME and when she download IE 6.0 her problem dissapeared. You might try this if you are not already using IE 6.0.

• amploud
    22 years ago

I have Windows2000 and it already comes with MSIE6. I didn't have this problem before, I'm guessing something in the settings changed. I've tried to look for the problem in my Internet Options but I'm stumped. I would appreciate any other suggestions. Thanks! ^_^

• lisa_fla
    19 years ago

I just figured it out:
    Internet Explorer Saves Images As Bitmaps (.bmp Files)
    Applies To
    SUMMARY
    When you save an image in Microsoft Internet Explorer, the image is saved by default as a bitmap (.bmp). You do not have the option to save the image by using an extension other than .bmp. You experience this behavior even when the image uses a different format (such as .gif or .jpeg).

For example, when you right-click an image on a Web page, and then click Save Picture As, the file name that appears in the File name box is Untitled, and the file type that appears in the Save as type box is Bitmap (*.bmp).
    CAUSE
    This behavior may occur if a damaged program file (for example, an ActiveX or Java object) is downloaded to the SystemRoot\Downloaded Program Files folder on your hard disk.
    RESOLUTION
    To troubleshoot and resolve this behavior, empty the contents of the Temporary Internet Files folder, and then delete the files in the Downloaded Program Files folder that are listed as either Unknown or Damaged. To do so:
    Start Internet Explorer (if it is not already started).
    Empty the contents of the Temporary Internet Files folder. To do so:
    On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
    Click the General tab.
    Under Temporary Internet files, click Delete Files.
    When you are prompted to delete all temporary Internet files, click OK.
    In the Downloaded Program Files folder on your hard disk, remove the files that are listed as either Unknown or Damaged. To do so:
    On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
    Click the General tab.
    Under Temporary Internet files, click Settings.
    Click View Objects.

The list of program files that are downloaded to the SystemRoot\Downloaded Program Files folder on your hard disk appears in the Downloaded Program Files window.
    In the Status column, note the files that are listed as either Unknown or Damaged. Remove these files. To do so, right-click the file, and then click Remove.
    When you are prompted to confirm the removal, click Yes.
    Close the Downloaded Program Files window, and then click OK two times.
    Save an image in Internet Explorer to test and determine if the issue is resolved.

If the issue continues to occur after you remove all downloaded program files that are listed as Unknown or Damaged, try removing the other downloaded program files that are on the list.

Note: The next time that you need one of the files that you removed from the Downloaded Program Files folder, you will receive a prompt to download the file to your hard disk in Internet Explorer.
    MORE INFORMATION
    For additional information about how to troubleshoot a similar issue, click the following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    260650 Internet Explorer Does Not Save Graphics Files in the Proper Format if Username:Password Is Part of the URL

250747 Right-Clicking, Selecting 'Save Picture As' Does Not Save Image with Correct Extension

The information in this article applies to:
    Microsoft Internet Explorer version 6 for Windows XP
    Microsoft Internet Explorer version 6 for Windows 2000
    Microsoft Internet Explorer version 6 for Windows NT 4.0
    Microsoft Internet Explorer version 6 for Windows Millennium Edition
    Microsoft Internet Explorer version 6 for Windows 98 Second Edition
    Microsoft Internet Explorer version 6 for Windows 98
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 for Windows 2000
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 for Windows NT 4.0
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 for Windows Millennium Edition
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 for Windows 98 Second Edition
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 for Windows

• fruitjarfla
    19 years ago

Downloading an animated gif is no problem - with any browser I've tried. Sending a gif so that it is animated will not work in some e-mail programs. It is animated using IE (a program which I normally avoid).
    Tim_In_NC -- the third post above, has the routine.

• joyceen1ia
    15 years ago

Hope you haven't gotten tired of this subject. It would help me to know what email program you are pasting your gif into. I use hotmail, yahoo, and juno email. Has anyone had success with pasting animated gifs into these email systems? I don't have a web page. joyceen1 ia

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz