Return to the Web Authoring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wanting a Web site

Posted by SteveC50 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 18, 03 at 11:18

I'd like to get my own Web site. A friend recommended 'Register.com' for a good starting place. I tried their free web site builder (try before you buy!) and it came out somewhat OK but the pictures that I uploaded to "my pretend site" were fuzzy looking. They were in the .jpeg format. The pictures were of candy bar wrappers that I design and would like to sell on the internet. Do you think I'm doing something wrong, as far as the pictures go or do you think they will be clearer on the actual site. The printed wrappers are very sharp and clear.
Is there a better place to get a domain name and web site for a real beginner?
Thanks for any help.
Steve C

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wanting a Web site

Hi Steve. I like Frontpage but a long time ago I played with this program and found it very good and best of all it's free so you might want to check it out - webomatic.

Does your ISP give you free web space? If so you can create your page with any program you like and them use ftp to upload it. A friend used her free space and then registered a domain name through Yahoo for $15 a year US.

Try sharpening your pictures before you put them on your site - also if you resize once they are on the page they will lose quality so try to get the photos of the best quality but as small a size as you can before putting them on your page.

Sue :)

Here is a link that might be useful: webomatic

o

First off jpeg is a lossy file format. What this means is every time you save the image you lose a few bytes. Over many saves and conversions you end up with an image that is not very good. Be sure to save original jpegs on a cd that can't be written onto and work on copies.

If you are uploading originals that are clear on your computer but not the web site check to be sure the images are not being resized. When I put a picture on my website I can tell the browser to shrink or expand it to a different size. For example I might have a 640x480 jpeg and tell the webpage to show it as 320x240 or 1280x960 or anything else. That will make the picture not look as well. ( and most likely what your problem is ) shrink or expand the picture your self and upload an image that is the proper size rather than doing it in html.

o

Steve, as Sue mentioned, maybe your isp offers webspace. Mine gives me 100mgs of space. I have used godaddy.com for several years for a domain name for only $8.95 a year. Works great and you can't beat the price! Feel free to e-mail me if I can help.

o

Thank you all for your advise. I'll give Comcast a try first before I go for the whole 9 yards.
Thanks,
Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Web Authoring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here