Return to the Web Authoring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Free blog? What is the catch? Bloggers please advise.

Posted by paint_chips (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 23, 08 at 2:40

For the first time in my life, I have a really good idea. I have been contemplating a series of articles to submit to newspapers on a subject that is very personal to me, but I now feel that blogging is the course I need to take... but my only experience with blogs is READING them.

There are lots of free blog sites... is there a catch that I am too dumb or inexperienced to see? How are these companies making money? Is there a cap on the number of visitors?

I need the ability to:

1. write articles
2. have advertisments that are along my topic (to generate money) (how would I get that set up??)
3. hopefully free hosting
4. the ability to add a paypal button (is this safe??)

The objectives are to get my message out "there" while hopefully generating money. I have no wild illusions about becoming wealthy, but even a pitance is symbolically important because of the subject matter.

I am so excited, but I don't know where to begin. I can see it becoming a popular place to visit, but have no practical experience setting up a blog. Is there anything I need to look for/avoid? And advice is humbly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Free blog? What is the catch? Bloggers please advise.

I guess it is kind of slow here. Luckily some people in the off topic area of another forum were able to give me some great advice.

Thank you to all the people who read this wishing to help!

o

I blog..my site is in my profile. Free is def worthwhile...look at the # of people who use blogger. Hope you have a site up by now. Enjoy!

o

You are right this is a really slow forum. I came over from cooking and was just looking around. The cooking forum is very active. You probably already have your answers but just in case here are some suggestions. I use googles blogger which is very simple to set up and add gadgets to. The link to my site is at the bottom. Second a great place to write articles and have them read by many people is the Newsvine I'll attach a link. Here you will be able to write your own article and also "seed" new articles from the web to the newsvine. You can also comment on those already posted. This is not a site you can earn money on but it does get you noticed and will eventually drive traffic to your site. Good luck and if you are still active here send me your blog so I can take a look. Newsvine is at: http://www.newsvine.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: Traveling and cooking with grandpa

o

I have 3 blogs at Wordpress.com, all free. Wordpress.org is the paid version which requires MUCH more maintenance. Blogging is fun... and addictive!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Web Authoring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here