SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tnladyhillbilly

I dont know what to do....long

tnladyhillbilly
20 years ago

Hello, Im in a bit of a quandry and thought maybe some of you could help me sort this out.

I contacted a developer to do a website on Jan 3,03. I discovered well into the project that he had never done a site like mine.I did the design myself and he did the coding and scripting, he is also hosting my site. His first estimate of completion date was 2 weeks from the time I sent him the design drafts. I knew at the time that he would be doing the site as a sideline job but never expected it to take 5 months to complete.

Due to the delays I lost about half of my initial member base. I had sent him to a sample site before he took the job so he would have some idea of the time and skill involved.

I got final invoice on May 5, 03 with a support agreement. He was paid in full on that date. I have not yet recieved any form of documentation on ownership of the site or any backups of the site or anything else I should have recieved by now.

My website contains 7 forums and a photo gallery with image upload capabilities in each forum. Its not your average private site but nothing huge.

I had sent him an email asking pricing and time line on some new features a couple of days ago and I got an email from him tonite....very enthusiastic about the new features and giving me price quotes and completion times,"These additional features are great ideas, and I will be more than happy to accommodate you!".

He stated that the new features would take no more than 4 hours of developement time. I had not sent a reply to this email and had no contact with him.

An hour later I get an email from him stateing that my site "does not conform to our business objectives. We are currently seeking development and/or hosting projects that are more commercial in nature. From the date of this notice, we are offering 60 days in which for you to locate suitable hosting and development services of your choice. During this period, I will continue to support the site per the support agreement as it exists. Additional features will need to be accommodated by your selected developer. Please note, however, that all balances must be kept current during the remainder of the hosting period.".

I dont know what to do. I have no knowledge of coding, scripting or hosting....thats what I was paying him for.

Over the past 7 months we had built up a comfortable working relationship and I dont have a clue what has brought this about.

Am I being unreasonable by being madder than h*ll over this?

Is this common business practice for developers?

Thanks, Sheila

Comments (3)

Sponsored