SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cpovey

Sources and book titles wanted

cpovey
18 years ago

Greetings,

First time in this forum, but long time THS user, mostly in appliances and kitchens.

Lots of experience (>25 years) in computers, starting with punch cards, Fortran, and Cobol. Most of my experience is hardware, not software.

I now work for a small company, doing several things, including being in charge of computers and networking. We have a web site, and it looks pretty nice, but it doesn't show up well in the search engines. It's all in Flash.

What I am trying to say is that I guess it's time I learned to design a web site. We are NOT trying to do online ordering or anything more interactive than including e-mail links and downloadable PDF's. It's a high-end catering company, and we want to introduce people to us, provide menu's, present lots of pictures of events, and the like.

I have the Adobe Publishing collection. I am very comfortable with PageMaker and InDesign. I can usually get done what I want in PhotoShop. But GoLive is a big puzzle to me.

I want to make a fairly simple, yet attractive site that will cause people to send us an e-mail or to pick up the phone. I want it to show up well and near the top in the search engines. I want it to be reliable with most browsers. I want to include the menu's (food menu's that is) in both text format for screen use and in PDF format for downloading. That's it. Nothing really fancy.

Books or web sites on designing web sites that I can use to accomplish this goal would be extremly appreciated. Suggestions on where to look for some sort of short course on web design would also be wonderful.

Thanks, in advance.

Colin

Here is a link that might be useful: Delectables Fine Catering, Inc.

Comments (4)

Sponsored