Return to the Web Authoring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what do you use to create web pages?

Posted by mildmay1 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 2, 02 at 22:33

I just registered a domain name and got a year's worth of webhosting too, a 25 meg site. I presently have a car club webpage with Geocities, and learned to use their advanced editor where you write the code yourself. So I do have a fair bit of experience there but have never actually created a website from scratch. So I have a nice learning curve coming up!

What program can someone recommend that's not for a complete newbie but still user friendly? A friend of mine used Cute HTML so I have downloaded it today, so I haven't got in a lot of time with it yet.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what do you use to create web pages?

Dont care what anyone says but you cant beat Front Page 2000-2002 for being easy to use. You can change the coding in the html view to anything you want. I even made a java script page that blue screens my puter with FP. Dont try this at home folks as i had to reinstall FP to get it working again.

JamesS

o

If you have Netscape on you pc you might try Netscape Composer. That is what I learned on and it took me about 5 minutes to learn. If you can use a word processor, you can use the Composer.
MaryAnn

o

I dont have Netscape, is it possible to get just the composer part? I dont need two browsers!

o

mildmay,

If you go to this site and click on the HTML : DHTML : JAVA link you will find a link to FrontPage Express which is a free download.

HTH

DoubleM

o

Composer comes with the browser. If you are making webpages it is a good idea to have 2 browsers so you can see how your page is viewed on both. I only use IE here at home, but have Netscape on my pc just for that reason.
MaryAnn

o

I use Visual InterDev.

--JoJo

o

I use SoThink HTML editor. It has a built in browser so you can make changes and then see what they really look like. It has a fully functional free version. The only limitation to the free version is that you can only have one page open at a time. I can only work on one page at a time anyway so no problem. I love it.
I make all my pages with it.
There is a link to it on my site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Essential Downloads

o

Does anyone else on here use Microsoft Publisher?
I found it really easy! Made the webpages - Publisher automatically changes them to HTML and ftp to my webspace.
Has anyone else used this?
Sue

o

I guess, I just do it the "old fashioned" way..
Notepad and raw coding...
It's as simple as it gets....for me anyway.

o

I also code the old way... Notepad!

I actually use Homesite at work. I still only use the editor mode, but it colors the code and makes it a bit easier to read (and catch unclosed tags)

MC

o
floating graphics

I want to put floating graphics on my web page.How do you get them?

o

Used to use notepad here but I have found webbuilder 2006 to be a great programmers tool simply for its ability to show me instantly through my local dev sever the product I am making, whether that be xhtml or server side scripting. It also is great for having line numbers and color codes in the code which makes tracking down errors a breeze. It has full CSS/CSS2 support as well, with full tracking of requireds, includes, classes, fucntions, and variables.

o

Homesite. It sucks. I really need something better.

o

Note: this topic was started in 2002! It is old!

The editors are as good as the person using them. You have to know what you're doing and you have to know how to use the software. If you don't, then your site will not look the way you want nor will it function the way you want.

o

my sister wanted a good free point and click web page creation tool.

I recommended to her to use NVU Web Authoring System.

it is available for windows, linux, and mac .. oh and its FREE.

very nice for the web authoring novice who doesnt have time to learn raw html coding practices

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Web Authoring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here