Return to the Web Authoring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
no right click

Posted by katbird (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 29, 05 at 21:11

I tried putting a no right click script on my trade page..
and it didn't work.. is there something that might be blocking it?
Would also love to know how to get rid of the bullets too if anyone knows..?
Thank you!
Katbird

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: no right click

I know that in Netscape 7.2, it not only brings up the right-click-disabled popup, but it also still gives me the normal right-click options right along with that---very disheartening! (My code works correctly in IE)

As for the script itself, did you insert it inside the body tags of your HTML code? Does the script have its closing tag?

o

A small hint/tip which you can take or leave as it suits. No right click or right click disable scripts are a royal PITA to almost anyone who surfs the net. Those who may be up to nefarious activities will get whatever they want anyway cause the page is cached and you can't stop them from right clicking the cached page. The rest of us (the majority) normal folks who simply want to create shortcut or add to favorites simply get P'd. And lastly it becomes evident to all the webmaster persona is not terribly familiar with the internet.

As I said, take it or leave it but, IMHO, its a really big waste of time. :-)))

o

I know, if someone really wants to they can usually get around the code. Most of us know that. I still use it though and lots of people still use it. That doesn't make us bad HTML writers.

By the way, I found a different right-click-disable code that DOES work in Netscape.

o

I usually use the no right click script if I am gonna be uploading or posting pictures.., just a habit that I had gotten into..
It has worked on most sites that I have made, and I do use IE... I had the script inside the proper tags, just not sure why it wouldn't work on the trade page.., but I haven't been able to figure out how to get around the bullets list that is built into the script there either, so it isn't any big deal.., also, for what it is worth, the no right click script has nothing to do with saving a page to favorites or stopping/hindering someone from looking at a cached page.. it was created to stop the ability of right clicking on pictures and copying them to your system.. there is also a script that will stop the view source which is used quite frequently as well by "nefarious" ? others if they really want to look at your information.. that really doens't bother me .. really.. all it does is stop people from seeing where you have your files stored. Anyway..
Thanks for the information! And have a great day all!
Katbird

o

"it was created to stop the ability of right clicking on pictures and copying them to your system."

Uh ... there is absolutely no way to keep me from getting an image or viewing source. All I have to do is disable Java$cript for a while, or use a browser that doesn't obey that script command.

You will find that GW doesn't allow JS commands in the text. I had to use $ to get the word into the message.

o

Disabling right click is a waste of time. There's numerous ways around it that you cannot block.

o

I repeat: "I know, if someone really wants to they can usually get around the code. Most of us know that. I still use it though and lots of people still use it."

She asked a question about her coding, she obviously wants to use it and it's her choice.

o

I actually got it to work where I wanted it.. and yes I am aware that there are several ways of getting around it..
And it is a personal preference..
Thank you all for your comments and have a great day!
Sunshiny outside!! Hope your gardens are overflowing with love and laughter!
Katbird

o

I like to slice my images (using photoshop) into many pieces and reassemble them into a table. That way, when they right click, they only get a piece. Or place a copyright logo image "behind" the original image so when they right click they get the copyright and not the original. But, with print screen, there is no way to get around it, I haven't found that solution yet. I at least like to make them work for it!

Here are a few websites I refer to.

http://www.naturephotographers.net/ja1200-1.html#rollovers
http://www.invisitec.com/freebies.shtml

HTH,
Rebecca

o

Great info Rebecca!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Web Authoring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here