Return to the Web Authoring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Links from an undesirable site

Posted by samtom (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 9, 10 at 20:16

I don't know any where else to post this. I need some guidance as this is something I have not encountered previously.

I maintain some sites for our local community. An individual has set up a site to sell advertising space to area merchants.

However, he's linking to our Community sites such as our blog and farmer's market sites which I built and host for the community. And, he's using the name of our local Business Association on his site implying this site is sponsored by the Association.

Plus, he's using direct wording taken from text on our sites in his copy.

His site is not IMHO tastefully done. And, we are concerned about his potentially tarnishing our image in the community.

Legally, I don't know if we can do anything about linking to our sites.

Any suggestions on how we should deal with this sticky issue would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Links from an undesirable site

I see the word "community" has become a hyperlink for Kohls.
I did not intentionally place a link there. Is this something GW is doing these days?

o

The first thing I would do is find out who is hosting his website and contact them directly about your concerns. I would also contact him and ask nicely but firmly to remove the content and links from his website. Then I would place an "Attention" notice on your website that there is a website referring to yours and that unless it is otherwise stated directly from you, your site and its sister sites are not in any way connected to or supportive of any other site. I wouldn't mention the name of his site because it just might drive people to it out of curiosity.
Good luck with that!

As far as the hyperlink you asked about in your post; That Home Site has added a new type of advertising by selecting "key" words to use as links for adds. You can stop them by going to the Computer Help forum and on the top there is an "Opt Out" and you won't see them anymore, but new people coming here will. Guess its just a sign of the times so this site can make more money and atleast they did give us an opt out.

o

Great advice above. Can you post an update?

o

I agree that communicating with the person is best.

However, if they refuse to quit linking to your site and your server handles PHP, you can let your server handle it for you.

For example, say someone on badsite, no longer a friend is posting links to your site and you'd like to make it a bit tougher on them... try something like this:

Make sure you page ends in ".php" and add a line such as...

at the very top. That way any traffic arriving by way of a link posted anywhere on badsite.com simply gets redirected right back to badsite.com. They never see your page if they're coming from badsite. Traffic arriving from anywhere else still sees the usual page.

I realize the post is ancient... but I'm bored and maybe it will be useful to someone?

o

It was short lived. In fact, at one point later on he was going to "give" me the domain, but never did.

Time heals a lot of problems.

Thanks for all the input.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Web Authoring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here