Return to the Web Authoring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Web Site Uploading??

Posted by bunky_mi (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 10, 06 at 18:22

I have some Web space that came with my internet service, you have to load using FTP to the server.. I have a Geocities cite that I made, I would like to transfer that page over to my web space, But I don't know much about HTML..

Can someone tell me how to transfer this? Od of a program that I can make a new page without HTML and load it up to the webspace..??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Web Site Uploading??

I've never used Geocities, but when you edit your site do you save it to your hard drive? If so then all you have to do is open your FTP program and simply upload the htm or html file plus any graphic files to your server. You will have to get the information from your internet provider for the information to use in the FTP program.

o

I have some Geocities sites which I've backed up onto my hard drive in the past. What I would do is then go to the other web space, find the instructions for FTP uploading, and then just select all the Geocities files off the hard drive and upload.

o

Using your name and password, you should be able to bring a new connection window (via FTP) for ftp.geocities.com

Once your new location's window and the geocities window are both in view, you should be able to drag the files from one to another...

o

To make it easier just open a browser, erase whats there and type in the bar:

ftp://yourusername:yourpassword@www.yournewsitelocation.com

Do this again by opening a second browser, but insert the imformation for your old location.

This will take you directly to your files and you can drag and drop between the two. Or you can drag and drop from your documents also.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Web Authoring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here