Return to the Web Authoring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is it with Front Page?

Posted by WeedWoman (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 8, 05 at 14:33

I am taking over the maintenance of the web page of a non-profit I do volunteer work for. I don't know much - yet - and am sort of hacking my way through the changes immediately needed on the site - updating events, staff list, etc. The place that hosts the site has an html editor and I've used it to make text changes; however, I need something more user friendly to make new pages or larger changes to existing pages.

I have MS Front Page and have downloaded pages from the website, edited them, and then used the upload feature of the host site to put the page back on the website, with some success (and some problems). However, I spoke to one of the tech people at our host site and he said you could use Front Page but it could cause problems because you needed extensions or something.

What is it with Front Page? Can someone give me a quick, basic description of why it would cause problems? What are extensions? Why are extensions? What kind of problems are we talking about? I may not end up using Front Page for the long term, but right now I just need a fast, available way to get things fixed on the existing website without making things worse than they are.

Thanks.

WW

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is it with Front Page?

"it could cause problems because you needed extensions or something"

READ the help files and search for "extensions" ... basically they let you create fancy stuff that won't work on the web unless the ISP is running the matching MSFT web server software.

I've found it easier to use HTML-Kit, which has good tools and a preview, but also checks the HTML for validity. (www.chami.com)

o
RE: What is it with Front Page?

MS Frontpage loves to create web pages that are only viewable from a MS Windows server by using IE. This compeletly throws away the original design of the world wide web as an open community accessible by everyone.

If you want to make a webpage that everyone can view (only 70% of browsers are IE, 25% are Firefox, 5% Opera, netscape, Mozilla), then I suggest coding it by hand in straight XHTML with CSS for the design. You can pick up books on both subjects. I highly recommend this approach as it gives you a greater understanding of what is going on, and allows you to do more.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Web Authoring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here