Return to the Web Authoring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Website Newbie

Posted by Sailfish (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 2, 04 at 10:38

Hello, I'm Howie. I was relieved when I found this site. I have great want to build and maintain a virtual fishing log. I have tried the templates you see at web-hosters and found them too restricting. I opted to buy some software and try to learn to use it. My working knowledge of anything "computer" is infantile. I just figured out how to attach a pic to an AOL e-mail a few months ago. But amazingly enough I was able to "turn it on". A few months of banging my head against the wall I am able to come up with a crude website that looks like it will foot the bill if I can fill it up with a lot of information thats "missing". I still have to learn how to edit pages and I'm having a bit of trouble with margines and things. I have tried to use a forum in the past but the "lingo" was too much for me to comprehend and I really think the dialog was well advanced for solving the problems I encounterd. I never thought the day would come when I wished poeple would talk to me as if I were a child. But here I am... Can anybody help?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Website Newbie

Howie,

What is the name of the software you bought? Someone here may have it and be able to answer some questions for you.

Susan

o

Have you found hosting for your new site? Aol offers I think 20 mb per screen name. Go to keyword ftp then "see my ftp space". I learned what little I know about building websites from Aol's extensive tutorials and using their webspace.

o

I just published the site today. It will seem a bit empty at a glance but as I start entering information into it In April (begin use of boat) it should fill up nice and offer a lot information to local recreational fisherman. I am doing this strictly to enrich the hobby and to enjoy the world of computers that I have just discovered. I bought Frontpage 03 because I could not make heads or tails of the templates offered at the web-hosing site. I will give a URL so we can discuss some of the issues I need help with as soon as my domain starts to recognize that I have uploaded to the web-hoster. It has been my experience that this sometimes takes a few hours.

o

A few hours to see your uploaded files?! It should be instantaneous. Click Refresh or Reload, depending on your browser, and see if that helps.

Yes, please give us the URL so we can help. Maybe more than you really want! :)

o

Still won't show up at reelkarma.com... The old mess still exists. The first atempt at a site..Disaster! But you can see it at sailfish.50megs.com Some of the problems I have basicly are "How To" issues dealing with FrontPage. First on the list is if you look at the "Boat" page the text is hard up against the blue. I need a margine there and I have not figured out how it happened on the "Home" page. Another biggie is that the page does not fill the "Window" when I view it on my computer, I designed it in 800 pixels wide mode. Was this a mistake?

o

Sorry, I don't use FrontPage, or a program of any sort. So, I can't tell you HOW, but I CAN tell you the "cause".

On your boat page, you created a table with 0 cellpadding. Find how to add cellpadding and increase it to 5, 10, whatever you want and you will move the text off of the blue area.

As far as your home page. When you set exact pixel sizes, you are assuming, everyone is using the same browser as you and the same identical settings as you. You want to try and create a page that appears "correct" to as many variables as possible. When you set sizes, use a percentage. 100% will always fill the screen, regardless of people's individual preferences. If you want smaller you do 90%, 80% etc.

o
RE: Website Newbie too

On your home page, the space away from the blue, is added using Unfortunately, this is a code that does NOT work in all browsers. Add cellpadding to the tables and it will accomplish the same thing and always work.

o

Looks like you were able to help out with the margine problem. Thanks! I designed the site in 800 pixels because the book.... books.. Said thats the way to do it. Also It was recomended by the webpage poeple at the Genius site. I think I tried to design at 100% and had trouble with the text running away. Perhaps it was because I had not installed a table or cell? I have so much to learn!

o

"100% will always fill the screen"

A slight correction: it will fill the window, not the screen. The user can resize the window at any time. I'm sure puggybw knows that, but I just wanted to clarify.

I tend to agree that using a percentage would be better than pixels, but there are pros and cons to this. With the pixels you get more control over your page layout. But when someone is using a narrower window they will have to scroll back and forth. When your visitor is using a high screen resolution, your table will look needlessly narrow.

You might want to test it with different browsers, different resolutions, and different window sizes just so you'll know what other people may be seeing.

Overall, your site looks very nice. It's easy to read, and all the links seem to work. Good luck in filling in the blanks.

Susan

o

You have to keep in mind that many people with their new bigger, crisper monitors keep their settings at 1024x768. Not hard to figure what the result is when you have a table set to 800 pixels - blank space.

If you use a percentage such as 100%, it will fill the screen correctly whether a person is using 800x600 or 1024x768. Without seeing the code, it's difficult to say why you were having a problem using the percentage. More than likely you had a "no break" somewhere in your text. If you are forcing the code and the computer to do something it naturally doesn't want to do, the result is a page that the text runs away on.

When you started over and switched from the percentage to a pixel width, you probably inadvertingly got rid of the "no break" which solved your problem.

o

Someone on another forum posted a link for this nursery. It happens to be a perfect example of what happens when you write code with pixel sizes and don't take into consideration, what other people are using. My computer is set for 800x600, this web page is obviously designed for someone using 1024x768. As a result this person has written what I consider to be an annoying page to view.
Floral Architecture

o

Yes, I see the problem with the floral link. I have seen that problem before at other sites. It is bothersome. I guess I should be happy with the way things are now for a bit. I was tickled that I have figured out how to re-submit pages for updates. It works! I'll go slow and easy for now. Learning one step at a time. I'm sure I'll be back to enrich what I have learned so far. Seems to be a nice site here. Thanks all!

o

It took me a while but now I remember in detail what it was about designing at 100% instead of the 800X600 that was decribed as the best place to design. When I design at 100% and the page loads to a window smaller or larger the text and photos re-arange themselves to suite. Often displaying in a non-desireable version. I just figured I'd drop by and say hello.

o

Hi Sailfish,
I went on your site, tried to post a comment, as invited, and it was returned by the Sys. Admin. Don't know anything about fishing but I just love the title "Reel Karma".
Good luck with your site.
My new and first site is www.zealmonline.co.uk and I'd love some feedback apart from friends, family and neighbours.
Gerry.

o

Sailfish...I have to say that I think your Website looks pretty good for a beginner. I Just decided to see if I could do a website, just for the heck of it. Let me tell you I haven't even got the homepage done yet and I haven't a clue as to how HTMls work or how to make another page come up with something else on it. I am really a novice, so I have to say, if I can even do a fraction of what you've done, I'll be happy.
Bev

o

I lurked over all questions from members, and I am having some of those problems trying to set up a website for new business. I have Domain, 1 year contract, also tried Websigth Tonight, nothing happens? Disgusted, broke, spending $60.00 and then renewals about extra $12.00. Want to cancel goDaddy.com. they want me to only cancel the items before next billing, I have renewed site and domain 1 year. How can I cancel this so I am not bullied in to pay for next billing receipts. Pleas help, I am a senior and I do not know what is best for cancellation and refund if wany. Craftylady_Ma.

o

craftslady, I am hoping by bringing this up someone will answer - if not, please repost as a new post so it will be seen (the original of this message is old and therefore might be passed over)

o

As far as I know, there is no refund for the registration of the domain name. You shouldn't be paying any monthly fee for hosting, but again, no refund just because you didn't get your moneys worth.

Registration cost is just the tip of the iceberg as far as costs go. Hosting will cost anywhere from nothing (with ads) to hundreds per month, although $15 is typical for a small, basic website. Then there is either a lot of your time or a lot of money to pay a professional to help, or get a grandson to help out.

o

I am wondering how you & your site are doing now -2 yrs later? What was the URL again?

Here is a link that might be useful: Starting a Website: A Newbie POV

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Web Authoring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here