Return to the Web Authoring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
E-commerce options?

Posted by jenn (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 28, 07 at 23:18

My niece asked for my help in creating a web site for her to sell the beaded jewelry she makes. If it is feasible, she'd like it to have e-commerce capability like PayPal.

She asked me to help her with this because I created my own web site. However, I created it with HTML and Notepad, no fancy web design tools -- and I have no experience in setting up e-commerce. I promised her I would look into it to find out what needs to be done, and if it will be feasible for me to do.

Where do I begin? Does anyone know where to start, what to do?

Thanks,
Jen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: E-commerce options?

Many good hosting companies include e-commerce/shopping cart suites at no extra charge. Some do cost extra. Miva merchant is one of them.

o

Thank you. Her friend offered to host it for her and it seems that he didn't mention including an e-commerce feature.

o

I would highly recommend hosting with a professional hosting company and not a friend. While anyone can host their own sites with a home pc and broadband connection, however money is at stake and control and reliability is a must for a business website.

o

Jenn,

is this something close to what she is looking for ?

Jenn's Nieces Jewelry Store

To be honest, if she only has a few items to sell, you can probably make her a storefront and use paypal purchase buttons without the need for content management and payment gateways, but if something like this is more to her liking and need, let me know and I would be glad to help.

o

sorry forgot to add the link to it.

it is OScommerce and available free at http://oscommerce.com/

o

PayPal is a great place to start. There are low costs involved and lots of instructions provided.

If she wants to grow, I'd look into Yahoo Stores for a non-techy good store. But that has much more expense involved.

o

For selling your own hand-made items I would head straight to Etsy.

They have HUGE traffic - it's hard to build that on your own. And they handle the cash and the hassles of layout.

o

I would second Etsy. She'll get more traffic that she would with her own website (until she makes a name for herself.) Etsy is the way to go.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Web Authoring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here