Return to the Web Authoring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Redirect Pages

Posted by Jodi_in_So_Calif (djnewell@yahoo.com) on
Mon, Feb 4, 02 at 20:35

I'm changing an AOL website (http://members.aol.com/jodipowell71/prospect-high.htm) over to a real domain site (http://www.prospectalumni.com) and would like to make a redirect page. Right now I just have a page at the old location with a link to the new domain name, but would like a redirect page that automatically takes the viewer to the new site. How is this done?

Jodi-

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Redirect Pages

Here's a link with a script on to redirect

Here is a link that might be useful: RD10

o

Thanks Dale, I'll give it a try.

Jodi-

o

I've found that it's better to not redirect automatically when permenantly changing a URL. With automatic redirects, the user often doesn't notice (or forgets, or whatever) to update thier bookmarks. When the original URL disappears or stops being supported, the users can't find the site anymore. Making them manually click on the link forces them to take notice that the URL has changed and gives them the chance to update their bookmarks...of course, we all always forget to do that anyway...:-)

Ideally, you would have the server send an HTTP error code of 301 (Permenant redirect). If browsers actually followed the recommended standard, they would then automatically update the users's bookmark for them. Of course, no browser actually does this, but I still like to send 301's, just for the sake of "doing the right thing."

o

You can still have a redirect, but just delay is for 10 seconds or so...

The redirect page can say something like, "This page has moved to *new url*, please update your bookmarks. You will be redirected in 10 seconds or 'click here' to go to the new site now."

Something like that.

<(----------M *arf arf* C----------)>
<(----- www.LiveNudeDogs.com ------)>
<(----------Run Toto Run-----------)>

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Web Authoring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here