Return to the Web Authoring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Easy to use, inexpensive software....

Posted by April02 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 4, 03 at 17:16

I consider myself a newbie, but I am interested in creating a website (blog) to use as an on-line journal including both text and photos. My visitors would be family and friends who are interested in keeping up with my life. (LOL)

I have used homestead and geocities, and currently tripod to host these simple sites, but since my internet provider gives us web space, I thought I'd create my own.

I have read through some of the other advice in this forum, but I am not sure which software would be best for me. I was planning on buying frontpage, until someone told me that there was a more user-friendly software out there for what I want to do. I don't want anything fancy- just an online blog-type journal, for personal use.

Any recommendations? (Since it is for personal use, and not a money making venture, I'd like to keep the cost down.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Easy to use, inexpensive software....

Two browsers have built-in HTML editors: Netscape and Mozilla. And both are FREE for the downloading from netscape.com or mozilla.org

o

April, Netscape Composer, which comes with Netscape, is very easy to use. I'll be glad to help you if you want me to. There are some very good tutorials online, but it is so easy to use that you should learn it in 10 minutes!!

o

If you've been using Tripod...have you seen their free templates? You could use them and change them to suit you in notepad.

Or use Eversoft's "1st Page 200" which is a free HTML editor. http://www.evrsoft.com/ I really like it and use it more than I do my Frontpage 2000.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eversoft

o

Ooops...that was suppose to be "1st Page 2000" not 200.

o

Thanks for the suggestions and advice!

o

I was going to download the "Eversoft" program but it isn't available for downloads at this time. Anyone know why?

Gene

o

They were suppose to come out with a new version early 2003.

o

Hmmmm, you're right....looks like they're getting ready to come out with a 2003 version and most of the download sites have already removed the 2000 version.

PC World still has it available, with a Note: "Vendor no longer supports this program." So if you don't want to wait on 2003, you could get it there.

Here is a link that might be useful: PC World

o

Thanks, Peggy! I downloaded it so I can start learning. I like what I've seen so far.

Gene

o

Be careful when downloading the eversoft program from PC World. As soon as I downloaded it, my Norton anti-virus found a virus in one of the files. It was a Js trojan called window bombs. I am hoping that our virus protector will prevent it from doing anything to harm our computer.

I doubt I will download anything from PC World anytime soon! That's scary!

o

That is scary, April....I think you should report it to PC World. I'm sure they would appreciate it, because I believe they state that all of their downloads have been pre-checked for viruses.

To be safe..one should always scan a download before installing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Web Authoring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here