Return to the Web Authoring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coldfusion or ASP? Best to use.

Posted by AndyF (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 5, 02 at 14:34

I heard these 2 products are neck and neck. Coldfusion's
cross platform is tempting, but Microsofts "here-to-stay" ASP with one platform is tempting too.

Funny thing though, when I do a technical equipment
list of all the host servers, only 10 percent are Windows Nt
platform, the others are Unix or something else. That weighs the options in favor of Coldfusion.

Has anyone had bad compatibility experiences with these? Which is the best for a Windows 98 developer for personal use desktop database Web programming.?

Thanks Andy.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coldfusion or ASP? Best to use.

I can't afford Coldfusion so I'm an ASP Programmer.

I'm hosting with an NT Server.

I thought that Coldfusion was more driven to database developement? Not too sure.

If you know any Visual Basic programming you will like ASP because you can use VB Script to program. That's another reason why I chose ASP.

Perl? Nah... don't want to learn another language.

Coldfusion... ditto.

MC

o

They basically do the same thing, but one is free and involves one less manufacturer. Both are painful to use on any large project without careful developers. Putting together a cheapo *nix box and using Apache with PHP/Perl/Java would be a good learning experience though.

o

Thanks all. I'll think I'll give PHP a go at it. My base
career is in Delphi's pascal language and prior to that was all Basic....VB,Quickbasic and the rest of the suite.

My concern is that I don't want to get into learning
a large package then get boxed into a tech glitch at the server. Got enough job figuring out problems on my PC and my own code let alone trying to figure out what's happening a few hundred miles away. I heard some providers have a poor rating as far as providing help on their end.

Thanks again.

o

I heard that to make PHP work with Windows xx server
you need an add on product called ChilliSoft or something like that.

Besides that, back in my programming job we all were waiting for the day that unix and all the "x"'s would get togeather and standardize. That day never happened, for that reason I stay clear of unix base stuff, not that I have anything against it, I had to do Dos to Unix command conversions often. So I'll stay with ASP even though I don't like MS's manopoly on the market.

Thanks folks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Web Authoring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here