Return to the Web Authoring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for low-cost, reliable, long-term web host

Posted by Jenn (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 3, 02 at 13:23

There are lots of hosts out there, but how do we recognize the fly-by-nights from the ones who will be around for a long time? I'm looking for a host who offers at least 50 megs for my personal site with lots of pictures, no banners, easy upload, and reliable, long-term service.

Anyone know of one?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for low-cost, reliable, long-term web host

I used freeservers.com for a fast learning site, but now I'm further along and for the next web page I'll be developing for another site and this web page will have a survey type form. That means I'll need a cgimail service which calls for a site with a few more options. CGI is all new to me.
Another thing too is if you don't want the host changing your html to make it compatible with it's server
try to get a server with the same platform as yours ie; Windows95/98 with Windows NT server, etc. Also decreases
upload file hastles because of incompatibility.
Try to get a host that has browser upload option which will save you fiddling with FTP.
Find out if you have to have a banner page and where you have to place it. You may have to modify your script.
Some sites you don't need a banner page.
They say geocities is a favorite but find they're not to generous for a free site.

o

Stick with larger more established ISP's. The support won't be great, but if your primary concern is stability then they usually can manage that. Or ask people you trust for a smaller, longer running local ISP. Probably decent reliability with potentially better service. Basically there is no free lunch; you typically won't find a cheap, stable provider with excellent service. I've heard okay things about verio and good things about pair.com, but YMMV.

o

I use HOSTING.com. it is a little more pricey than some of the cheapy ones, but it is always working, it's been around forever and is going to stay around ... no banners, easy easy easy upload...multiple directories, etc.....

i pay 20 bucks a month. 49 bucks set up fee.

hope this helps. :)

Jenna

o

Andy...

MyHosting.com (ref 21181 if you decide to sign up)

US$9.95/month and up.

Tons of stuff... no setup fee either.

MC

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Web Authoring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here