Return to the Web Authoring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Non-breaking space question

Posted by Cindy_5ny (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 23, 04 at 10:52

I have a problem using & n b s p ; (no spaces) on this site and another site that I do some HTML work on. It seems to disappear from the code and leave a regular (empty) blank space after I submit it.

I ran into the problem when setting up a table - a table cell was not correctly formatted with only an empty blank space in it. I thought I found the solution - using & n b s p ; in the cell should have solved that problem. When I use it though, the typing disappears and leaves an ordinary empty blank space and the cell formatting problems. Has anyone else run into this problem? I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.
Thanks,
Cindy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Non-breaking space question

What are you expecting to see? All you would see is an ordinary blank space. But the browser won't do a line break at that point.

o
RE: Non-breaking space question (try again)

Cindy,

I realized that my previous post may have sounded a little sarcastic. I didn't mean it that way at all! I really didn't understand from your original post what you wanted to see when you use & n b s p;.

Susan

o

Susan, thanks.
I'm really having trouble explaining this one - no one seems to understand.

There is a difference between a space that you type with the spacebar and a space that you put in as & n b s p ; (no spaces). The spacebar space is just empty space, but the coded space actually has something there, even though you can't see it (like a placeholder). This makes a difference, because in a table, a table cell will not have any formatting if it is empty space. Here's what I am talking about.

The problem is, that on some pages nbsp is not recognized and is treated as empty space instead of "place holding" space, so I still can not created a normal looking, empty table cell.

Cindy

o

Cindy,

I understand what you mean about the table appearance. I use nbsp for that frequently. I thought you wanted to see something in that space. Can you link to an example of a table where it's not working? I love debugging!

Susan

o

Thanks Susan,
I found a solution for my problem - seems like nbsp isn't recognized on some pages, so there are other symbols you can use instead explained here.
I tried inserting one of the other symbols and it seems to have solved my problem.
Cindy

o

Cindy,

So are you using xml?

Doesn't it just make you feel so ordinary to read
"This is the all-time #1 FAQ."

Susan

o

LOL - Here's the scoop - it's not a web page that I set up myself - it's a sports site called eteamz that lets you do as little or as much coding as you want. You can just plug in info, upload pics or files and do it all in their format, or you can sneak in some of your own code. I wanted to do things a little differently than the standard format and set up some of my own tables, links, etc. What I've found is that some normal HTML tags work and some don't. I just thought I'd give the info a try that I found about the alternate nbsp and it worked.
How's that for confusing!
Cindy

o

Hmm, the pages have a .cfm extension, which is ColdFusion, of which I know next to nothing. I'm glad you found out how to make it work!

o

Yea, it's been sort of a pain and I've considered just doing the page from scratch, but there are enough good things about the site that we like for us to stay. I like a challenge and as long as I can make things work, that's what matters! LOL
Cindy

o

Well the other way you can make a "space" is to make yourself a large transparent gif. One advantage to this way is you can always control the exact space using "height" and "width" and since it's actually an image you will never have to worry about a code not working.

o

Thanks puggy,
I had something like that in mind next if I couldn't find an easy string of characters to type in.
CIndy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Web Authoring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here