Return to the Web Authoring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Uploading .doc files

Posted by MaryAnnTX (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 12, 03 at 8:34

I know this is probably a silly question, but, it's something I've never done so thought I would ask first.
I have several Word documents that I want to make available to club members. Can I simply upload the .doc files to my server and put a link to them on my webpage? Each file is 350-450 mb.
TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Uploading .doc files

You are aware that not everyone will have Microsoft Word installed on their computers, aren't you? It doesn't come with all computers.

And that even if they happen to have MSWord installed, documents created by some versions can't be opened by other versions?

You need to make them available in a format that can be viewed without the need for buying software or upgrading existing software. That's what PDF files are for.

o

lazygardens, someone else is making the Word files and usually e-mails them to club members. But they ask if I could also make them available on our webpage. So I'm assuming all the members have Word. Actually my Word program has gone haywire and I have been using WordPad to open my .doc files.
Is it possible to convert the .doc files to .pdf without having to reformat? And would I have to have the Adobe writer program to do this?

o

I believe there is an option under file->save as that will let you save the files in a different format. .txt would be best for the interent.

You can just upload them as .doc files. I wouldn't. M$ puts information in.doc files like your ethernet card mac address and who knows what else that I would not publish online.

o

How about saving them as HTML and uploading those. It's a lot smaller file.

That preserves most of the formatting, and you can check to make sure the personal information is gone.

o

MaryAnn ~ You can upload your files & link to them exactly as you've described. I have the full version of Acrobat, if you'd like me to convert a couple documents so you can see the formatting, I'd be happy to.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Web Authoring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here