Return to the Web Authoring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with Adobe

Posted by mac72 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 12, 02 at 0:03

Hello! Hope someone can help me!!
I have been on several websites that have areas on them where you can "open up" a document using adobe. I was wondering how I would go about doing that on my website. I have several documents on my site. I would like to make it to where when people click on the 'link' it would automatically open the document up in Adobe.
I have tried uploading the document to my site and then adding a link to it. However, when I do that, it brings up a box asking the person to 'download' the file. I want it to automatically open up in Adobe.
How do I do that?
THANKS in Advance!
Mac

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with Adobe

Web servers have no clue as to purpose or content of what they are sending (with the exception of server side processing technologies). A web server knows enough about a document to say "this is an HTML document" or "this is a PDF document". It has no idea what it means to be an HTML or PDF document. A web server gives it to the user agent (browser), and tells the user agent what type of document it is. The user agent is responsible for knowing what to do with it. Therefore, the server cannot impose any restrictions on the user agent as to how the document is to be displayed. Even if it could give suggestions, it is irrelevant because the user agent isn't under direct control of the server, and will do what it wants to.

Where you given the options to d/load the file and open from current location?

o

Like I have said before, I have gone to several sites where something I clicked on was automatically opened in Adobe. I think one time I was at Martha Stewarts website and clicked on a "leaf template" for a halloween costume. As soon as I clicked on the link "Leaf Template", It opened up in Adobe where I was able to print it out.
I design a website for a local business. They have "Membership Forms" and "Schedules" and other things like that on their site. The problem is, sometimes when you print them out, they cut off in the middle of the page...or just don't line up right. The reason I wanted the documents to open up in Adobe was so that I could control how the document is formated and where the next page should start. I also like that the website address doesn't appear on the page. At one time, I uploaded the documents to the page (so people could download them onto their computer) but some of the people had trouble downloading them onto their computer. (Some of the people that go to the site aren't real...shall I say....computer literate. LOL!)

They didn't know how to download, where to have it download to....couldn't remember where they downloaded it to, didn't knoe how to open it once they downloaded it...etc.

Anyways, I figured if it opened up in Adobe (on it's own), it would pretty much be "fool proof" (for the user).

Since I posted this message, I figured out how to make the documents open up in Adobe. I uploaded the PDF document to my website, when I looked at the file, it came up fine, but when I emailed the URL to someone else to check out, it came up with a blank sheet. Adobe DID open for them when they clicked on the link, but the document came up as a blank page....SO I am now trying to figure that out as well. I swear it's never ending!! LOL!
Anyways, THANKS for your help, if you have any other suggestions...I would love to hear them!!
Mac

o

Are your documents saved in PDF format? They should then open up in Acrobat Reader.

Ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Web Authoring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here