Return to the Web Authoring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
refresh web site

Posted by Larry_Pullen (lpulle@globalmtn.com) on
Wed, Jan 30, 02 at 22:39

How can I refresh my website after I make changes to it? Seems I have a cache or something that makes it load faster. I have a lot of images and am trying to optimize them and upload back to website but the old images are still there.

LAR

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: refresh web site

Delete your Temporary Internet Files before you refresh and that should take care of it. In IE go to tools internet options to delete these files.

o

Even better, go to Tools, Internet Options, and on the General tab, in the Temporary Internet Files section, click on the Settings button, then choose the "Every visit to the page" option.

You will now always see a new page when refreshing or visiting -- nothing in cache.

Cheers,
JoJo

o

I have done that but the images stay the same.

This is what I have done

1. Went to Tools Options and deleted every thing that looked like I could. Cookies - temp files ect

2. Went to my host and even deleted some image files - But they are still there

I am wondering if my host server has a cache that is holding my old images?

Thanks for what ever help you can.

Oh - Some times a few days later I have noticed from before the will change.

Lar

o

Did you set your browser to reload on "every visit to the page" (as I mentioned above)?

Cheers,
JoJo

o

Yes I did. still the same. After two days it finally gave me the changes. Strange - but true.

LAR

o

If it's an IE cache problem, holding down CTRL while hitting refresh will force a reload of the page. I think Netscape uses SHIFT refresh, but it's been a while and I can't remember off-hand.

Also, make sure the date and time (and time zone!) on your computer is set correctly. If your date is wrong, then when the browser looks at the last updated date for various requests, it may not think that the content has been updated if your clock is wrong...

o

Thanks Rob - Will give tha a try

LAR

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Web Authoring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here