SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
puggybw

CSS and browsers continued....

puggybw
20 years ago

LazyGardens has some very valid points and it's simply a matter of how you write the HTML code. Different browsers and versions will display pages differently, but this is not what LazyGardens is referring to.

For example, the table on your index page is set to 792. This isn't even defining the unit of measurement, which I assume is pixels, so it should more aptly be 792px. This table size is just fine if you are going to assume ALL people are using 800x600 screen size, BUT..........anyone NOT using 800x600 will see your page totally different. Now instead of 792px, if you simply changed the table size to 100%, the size would ALWAYS be full screen for everyone no matter what their individual settings on their computer are.

When I look at your page, I see 3 columns, but when I look at your code, I see something like 10 columns, with everyone of them defined by a different absolute size. I'm not sure of the reason for this other than just complicating matters.

I would guess when you were setting this up, that your lines were breaking where you didn't want them, so you added "nowrap" to the <td>. Now you have a column with an absolute size, that is not allowed to line break - this is going to cause problems. If your table sizes were defined with % and you used only 3 columns, you would find that you probably didn't need to use "nowrap". "nowrap" is a deprecated tag as well.

Comments (6)

Sponsored