Return to the Web Authoring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
music to my website

Posted by reduc500 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 8, 03 at 17:52

I can add music to a post here but I can't add it to my website. Do you use a different code? The one I have been using is

<embed src="URL to music" controls=console width=100 height=40 loop=true volumn=30 autostart=false>

Thanks.
Judy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: music to my website

moving this down.

o

Hi Judy, I think your problem is that the "embed" code is only seen by Netcape browsers. You need to use "bgsound" with "embed" for your music to be heard by both IE & Netscape. Heres a site that explains:

Here is a link that might be useful: Sound Tute

o

Well I got it added to my website but as soon as I clicked save message it goes back to just seeing the html fot it!! What am I doing wrong???
(tearing my hair out! haha)

o

You've got to be missing a code or space somewhere. Post again exactly what code you used.

o
RE: music to my website!

I just thought about something.....Where are you writing your code? I use notepad and when I hit "save as" you have to put "index.html" for your main page and all others as "page2.html" etc. If you do not designate it as an HTML file it won't be read properly by the browser when you upload it. If you give me the url of your site I can source it and check it out that way too.

o

Cuders Place
I have been trying to add it the only place I can see to add it, in my welcome message. If you can come up with something different I would appreciate it! Thanks

I used the code you gave me and added http://gjbentley.homestead.com/files/Music/wonderfulworld1_.mid where it was supposed to go(I think!!)
I can make it work in an email and on the test forum but not on my website.
Thanks.
Judy

o

Ok heres the deal Judy.....Your page is located at MSN Groups and it does not support some of the HTML codes in your opening. Also looks like it doesn't support it unless it is a file you have uploaded and click on it. I looked thru the help section under what codes were support there and background music is not listed. Looks like you are out of luck :o(

And BTW, that first code you had with "embed" is for Netscape browser and MSN is ofcourse an "Internet Explorer" browser and for that you use "bgsound" if it was supported in Groups.

Heres a link to the section at Groups that outlines what tags are suppored:

Here is a link that might be useful: HTML tags for MSN Groups

o
RE: music to my website!!

Well dang that link didn't work! I'll email it to you because the list is it pretty long.

o

Thanks Mary. For some reason I can get the music to play there but as soon as I save the message it goes. Guess what you say is right! Rats. The other code I was using shows a little box that you can click on to make the music play. I have used that code here with no problem. This is what I wanted to add there!

o

Bummer huh! And your code did work just fine here and I like that song :o)

The embed code makes the "play on/off" box and really should be used to give visitors the choice to turn off the music if they want. (the Bgsound code does not) Its ashame Groups doesn't support the codes. Have you tried the code for linking the music file and put "Play My Song Here".....That might work. Visitors would have to click on the link to hear it, but atleast it would be there.

o

I can give that a whirl. Not too many people go there anyways but I thought it would be nice.
Thanks for your help.
Judy

o

Your welcome! I had a page at Groups too, but never used it so didn't do much with it. Especially since I've learned to build my own web pages. Just no discussion board like you have there.

o

I tried different codes and none seems to work on msn o.a loop=true autostart=true> ohhhhh when I preview my message here the player shows ehhhhh????

plzzzzz I need help to add music on msngroups

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Web Authoring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here