Return to the Web Authoring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
MoveableType

Posted by Trudi_d (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 1, 04 at 15:30

Has anyone used MoveableType service before...seems quite good and am looking for pro/con opinions.

TIA

Trudi

Here is a link that might be useful: MovableType.org

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: MoveableType

Check the requirements, and ask your ISP (rackspace.com? laughingsquid.net?) if they allow it or will load it up for you. It's a decent program, but like any server-based freeware, not exactly easy to get going.

Core requirements:
* A web server with permissions that allow you to run custom CGI scripts
* Perl, version 5.004_04 or greater, configured for your web server
* An FTP program to upload the necessary files to your web server
* Any standard web browser on Windows, Mac OS, or Unix/Linux with J/*ava*script and cookies enabled
* Support for the DB_File Perl (Berkeley DB) module OR the MySQL database & DBD::mysql

o

I think I will have them do the install for me, the host does support the requirements. Perhaps sometime at the end of the month.

o

I've opted out from moveable type and instead went with an ultimately more expensive but highly controllable discussion center. I didn't have to install anything and just link to it from my website. However, it is not an immediate "touch and go", there's been a lot of programming and adaptions to make it fit to my mold. This has much more possibilities than a blog. I used EZboard and went with the Gold package.

o

Trudi,

Thanks for letting us know what you ultimately did. I know you didn't get much feedback, but your experience helps educate others who happen to be reading this.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Web Authoring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here