Return to the Web Authoring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Text Size

Posted by
Rich
(rcawthorne@hotmail.com) on
Tue, Jan 29, 02 at 14:05

Is there a way I can disable the user changing the browser text size (eg: from the 'View', 'Text Size' option on IE). I've noticed on some sites (Eg: www.msn.com) the text size does not change when the user changes the browser settings.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Text Size

Yup, instead of changing the text size as follows (relative):

(font size=+1)

You should use a direct method, like:

(font size="12px")

...replace the () with <>...

Hope this helps.

Niels.

o

I used this script. it works in IE but not in netscape.

This goes in the head.

<style type="text/css"\>
<!--
.text " font-family: "tahoma";
font-size: 15pt; font-weight: bold;>

.text1 " font-family: "tahoma";
font-size: 13pt; font-weight: bold;>

-->

</style>

Then in the body <p class="text">
before your text.

o

There are a few ways to do this, but they are ALWAYS a bad idea on the web. The web is not a printed publishing medium where you control the final output. There are a million variables including browser, user's eyesight, computer, operating system, location, etc... If you fix the size of the font, then a user with a high resolution display can't easily make it bigger, and will leave. To best get your message out there, it's essential that you don't try to limit your audience; not everyone uses Internet Explorer on Windows.

Think _very_ carefully before ever fixing a type size, or really using any other display tricks that will harm the user experience. If you must choose a size, then specify it using relative units so your reader can easily change the size if it ends up too small for them to read.

o
RE: Text Size and the presbyopic

I'm with rob_from_ca. When the presbyopic get up into the fixed income age bracket the best way to handle it is to make text size largest and under tools>internet>access click all three ignor boxes and then take off your bifocals and push back away from the screen.

Some famous sites like NYTimes and Slate support this and they are among those I visit every day. If you somehow block this I will not visit your site a second time nor will I lurk there even briefly the first time.

o

Please refer to this forum site

Here is a link that might be useful: Partially sighted topic

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Web Authoring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here